Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Please pls pls score my first AWA essay. [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Pls pls post your essay in the AWA forum.

If I am not mistaken, I have posed in the AWA section. Can you please clarify where esle do I post it?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
this topic wasn't originally posted on this thread, but, was later moved by some mod.

coming to your essay: Your best bet is to wait for a bit and someone should definitely evaluate it. In the mean while, please go through this (if you haven't already) - how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Best
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ Moderators

Not a single moderator posted their feedback as yet....pls tell me where are you guys??? Do i have to paste something absolute random to get ur attention???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
OK, I did a quick read. It's actually pretty good. The reasoning could be made more precise.

Quote:
First, the argument readily assumes that The Mercury’s circulation declined by 10000 readers due to the price of The Bugle over a span of five years.

Revise English, particularly "due to the price... over a span..."
What does "over a span of five years" modify? The price?

Quote:
There is no evidence provided to show that this decline was not a sudden one. For instance, it may be the case that...

may have been the case?

Quote:
Hence, reducing the price of newspaper is not going to help in increasing the circulation figures until it makes up for the loss in the distribution network.

Why? It may still help.

Quote:
Clearly, the lack of good content in the newspaper is not going to help in increasing the circulation and enticing businesses to invest in ad space.

First of all, how do you know that Mercury lacks good content? Secondly, there are plenty of journals and newspapers that lack good content, but are very popular and successfully sell ad space. How about the Playboy?

Quote:
Again, one cannot deny that competitive pricing of newspapers lures businesses to invest in ad space in any paper. The argument does not provide us any evidence to support the claim that increased circulation is the only criteria that makes business invest in ad space.

Of course, it is not the only criterion. So what?

Quote:
While business may definitely consider investing in ad space based on the circulation figures, it may also consider the brand loyalty and goodwill of the newspaper. In fact, one of the major factors that can influence the decision to invest is also the pricing that the newspaper offers for the ad space.

Yes. How is this relevant, though?

Quote:
It is not clear whether The Mercury offers competitive rates for advertising and hence, we cannot be certain that the increase in circulation is directly going to result in an increase in investment by businesses.

What if it does offer competitive rates? Can we then be certain that the increase in circulation will attract more business?

Quote:
Without full knowledge of all the contributing factors it is hard to conclude the reasons for reduced circulation numbers.

We are not really interested in the reason for reduced circulation numbers as much as in deciding what to do.

Quote:
Hence, the argument is weak and flawed.

How would you improve it?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi!

Could you please score my AWA essay? I would appreciate specifics on the reasoning, flaw selection, etc., along with the score. Thank you very much.

“Our promotional price reductions on energy drinks have been highly successful, as we have seen a dramatic increase in unit sales. Further, surveys of our consumers indicate that this promotion was favorably received by the majority of our customers. Therefore, to improve our company’s profitability and enhance its perception in the eyes of consumers, similar price reductions should be offered on all drinks produced by our firm.”

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

MY RESPONSE:
The manufacturer's conclusion that reducing prices of all drinks would increase the company's profitability and enhance its perception in the eyes of its consumers is based on many questionable factors and there is little factual evidence to substantiate the inference.

Firstly, the manufacturer presumes that the promotional price reductions caused the increase in unit sales and states nothing to provide support for this assumption. Some other factor could very well be the driving force in increasing sales. For instance, if the unit sales of energy drinks has increased across all companies that manufacture energy drinks then something else other than the drop in price is the cause it. The author can strengthen this evidence by providing evidence that shows that the price reduction is indeed the cause.

Secondly, the author fails to mentions any details of the data set that was used for the survey, so it is likely that the consumers who took the survey were not well representative of the entire consumer base. For example, if the number was actually considerably smaller than the actual consumer base then it is insufficient to draw conclusion based on the data collected. Further, the survey could have targeted only the consumers who were price sensitive thereby producing biased results. The author should have provided information on how the survey was conducted.

Thirdly, nothing is mentioned about the margins on all the drinks. Perhaps some have lower margins than others which would ultimately result in a loss. Also, nothing is mentioned about the length of the promotion, which is also a crucial factor to consider.

Lastly, dropping prices of all drinks could result in consumers doubting the quality of product and may seem desperate and this would have an adverse effect.

Based on the above mentioned points, the conclusion drawn by the manufacturer is weak.

Please do reply. Thanks! :-D

SERGEY, could you read and rate mine, too? Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts