Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:47

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please provide profile evaluation !!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Please provide profile evaluation !! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 21:47
Hello Stacy,

I recently finished my GMAT. This was my third attempt. I am stuck at 620 ( Q47, V29). I did really good when I was attempting mock tests at home (700+), however for some reasons I am not able to crack the exam when it really matters most. Nonetheless, I am in no mood now for one more attempt. My background -

1. Bachelors in Information Technology - top 10% of class
2. Masters in Computer Science - University of North Texas - GPA - 3.8
3. Work experience - 5 years
4. Age - 28 (coming July)
5. Nationality - Indian Male

I worked for around 3 years for a small firm in Dallas, TX. I have been working as a technology analyst for Morgan Stanley at Wall Street since last 2 years. My role is more of business + development. I have been working on technology integration of Morgan Stanley and Smith Barney. I have been managing team of 3-5 people.

Interest: I have strong inclination towards Value Investing and asset management. Though I don't have core industry experience in this field, I am managing my own portfolio since last 4 years. I am a self learner. My short term goal (1-3 years) post MBA is to be a Research Analyst working for some firm (applying VI principles). My long term goal (+ 3 years) is to be a Portfolio manager managing some fund or start my own family fund managing people's money. Currently I am taking Financial Statement and Analysis class from UC Berkeley Extension school to enhance my knowledge.

Schools of interest - Columbia Business School (for obvious VI program) and NYU Stern. However I am well aware getting into these schools with my GMAT score will be almost next to impossible. However I want to stay positive and apply for R1 for these schools and similar schools with focused approach on asset management.

Community work - I am affiliated with New York Cares, a non-profit organization. I have been helping kids prepare for their SAT exam. Back in India I worked with "HappyThoughts", a non-profit organization, working towards helping people in meditation, spirituality and wisdom at work place.

Please provide your opinion about my profile, schools I should be targeting at, etc. I am open for US and Asian schools. Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Please provide profile evaluation !! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 09:21
Expert's post
Hi amp0201,

Particularly because you were scoring so well on practice tests, I recommend you retake the GMAT. Remember that your highest GMAT score is self-reported on your application, so admissions teams will focus on your best score. There isn't much harm in taking the test again. If you are very interested in Columbia and NYU Stern, I recommend you aim for a 700 on the exam.

If you decide to take the test again, here is a free GMAT overview: http://stacyblackman.com/gmat-overview

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap