Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Rate! Issue Analysis

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Please Rate! Issue Analysis [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 15:45
This is my Second Issue Analysis. Please give your comments.

The primary responsibility of citizens is to obey their nation’s civil and criminal laws.
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons
and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

The issue statement states that the primary responsibility of citizen is to obey their nation's civil and criminal laws. My take on the issue would be as following.

Most countries in the world have a Rule of Law defined for themselves, if these laws are not followed the Rule of Law will fail and Anarchy will previal. Thus follwing rules is quint-essential to smooth functioning of a social system. Also for citizens of a country, observing the "Spirit of Law" is more important than obeying "Letter of the law"

The debtable part of the issue statement is what kind of 'Law and Rules' are people of a country obligated to follow and obey?

In Nazi Germany, there were many laws which excluded the Jews and other groups, they were subjected to social exclusion, many of the laws were racial in nature. Such laws go very much against the nature of Human values. Few authoritarian goverments supress their populace in name of ideology, if the people dont observe disobedience they can never free them selves from the clutches of supressive regimes. India and America would have never got their independence had they obeyed and followed the Rules laid by the Colonial British. Laws which promote and endorse social excusion should be opposed with full force.

What is legal today could be illegal tomorrow and vice versa, as an example Slave Trade was legal in before 18th Century in Britain. That didn't necessarily make it a right thing to do before it was made illegal. An other example is same sex marriage, which is gaining acceptance is few free societies.

The rule of law continuously keeps evolving, The citizens of a nation should observe laws which are just and disobey which are unjust and fight for their amendments.
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 99

Kudos [?]: 215 [2] , given: 20

Re: Please Rate! Issue Analysis [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 15:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hey rockroars,

A good start here, and the quality of your thoughts on the subject is commendable! To do much better than a score of 4 or so, though, I'd like to see you:

1) Focus on the structure of your essay and on transition words that make the structure easy to recognize. Try to have a clear thesis paragraph that includes a word like "therefore" or "thus" to signal the reader as to your intentions in the essay. Then, try to lead your support paragraphs with words like "For example"' "Also", "Another", etc. Make it easy for the reader to see what you're trying to do - organization on these essays tends to be more valuable than does style and even content.

2) Have at least two (or, really, three) sentences per (well-organized) paragraph. That not only looks better and more well-reasoned, but also forces you to develop each claim that you make and leads to a stronger overall essay.

3) This may just be my style, but I'd begin the essay by paraphrasing the topic and not by saying "The essay topic says that...". Write it as though someone other than simply a GMAT grader is reading it - by showing that you can write to an audience you'll write a more persuasive essay that's less clinical and more thought out.

If you can implement these ideas the quality of your thoughts is great and you can probably get to a 5 or so just by better organizing and better developing what you already have to say. I hope that helps...

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Please Rate! Issue Analysis [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 13:46
Thank You Brian! I appreciate you taking time to give a detailed response. I will try to work on suggested areas of improvements.
---
When I was reading the 5-6 pointer essays, I realized my structure was poor. But I am having trouble little trouble memorizing the standard expressions, even if I did manage to memorize a few, I am struggling to tailor my sentences around them.
Re: Please Rate! Issue Analysis   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2010, 13:46