Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 10:47

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please rate me

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

please rate me [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 08:40
Hi.

Nice to meet you, my name is Kevin. I'm a Chinese Canadian living in Toronto, and working in the tech/telecom industry

I am just starting my essays. and was wondering if you guys can take a quick look at some of my experiences, and rate them on a scale of 1 to 10 on how strong/interesting/useful each of them is, and wither or not I should mention it in my essays?

Thanks!

- Social - Helped organize multiple flashmobs involving up to 1000 people

- Work - developed company (10,000+ employees)'s new pricing strategy by leading and working with Finance, Marketing, Customer Base Management, Advertising, Care, Sales, and Engineering departments
Core Idea of this product was feared and misunderstood by whole organization. But through creating analysis and hiring/using research companies, proved to the company and senior management (up to President, Chief Marketing Officer, Senior VP level) that that the idea it self is feasible and beneficial (best expert in company)

- Work/Social - Didn't get in to good university in the beginning, but went in to best option possible in 1st year (50 - 100th ranked in the world), got 4.0 average, transferred to business school of that university in 2nd year, got 4.0, transferred to best business program in Canada in 3rd year, and went on exchange to best university in Asia in 4th year

- Work - Business impact award (28 out of 10,000+ employees) - identified and created additional 1 million dollar revenue stream, implemented it by working with cross functional teams

- Work - borrowed by company's core strategy team due to data analytic expertise, and was so strong in the period that the team decided to create a role for me. now only person on core pricing team under 30

- Work / Social - speaks fluent English, Chinese, basic sign language

- Social - have a youtube channel with over 25,000 views, and taken over 30,000 photos over last 2 years

- Work / Social - involved in startups
started website /hired programmers to experience the startup community
currently helping to create a travel/social and a fashion startup

- Social - Took unpaid leave and volunteered in Africa for 1 month

- Social - Lived with locals in 5 different countries with completely different cultures - Canada, China, Mexico, Hong Kong, Dubai, Travelled to 20 different countries

- Social - founding member of a professional/social group

Thanks again!
Feel free to be harsh and honest
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: please rate me [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 08:30
Seriously man, you've done all this?

Who has two thumbs and isnt getting into business school? this guy *pointing at myself*

I really dont think you can go wrong with any of those stories, but it should align with your goals right? Like if you want to work in tech or social media, speak about youtubes importance to you as you built prominence on that site.

If you want to work internationally in your goals, those experiences fit better. You will be fine, I cant rate them 1 to 10, but they all are very impressive
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: please rate me [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 08:56
Based on what you present here, I would recommend that you limit your applications to the following schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Columbia, Haas, Booth and Kellogg (and possibly Tuck). With a strong application, your application will be read with great interest and should receive a lot of attention -- if you present yourself properly. The biggest challenge with your candidacy is that you have too much to write about and that with essays becoming shorter and shorter you have to be very selective about what you write about.

Good luck and dedicate the proper amount of time, energy and effort into this process and you will see great results.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: please rate me   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2012, 08:56