Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please rate my 1st essay...tried for 2 months...Analyze issu

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 78

Please rate my 1st essay...tried for 2 months...Analyze issu [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 14:38
ESSAY QUESTION:
“Poor health and high stress levels diminish the productivity of today’s office workers. In order to maximize profits, companies need to provide white-collar employees with free exercise facilities and free wellness classes.”

In your opinion, how accurate is the view expressed above? Use reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading to develop your position.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The view mentioned above is ambiguous because of the following reasons:

Firstly, the argument doesn't mention anything about the specifics of the industry and the location of office e.g. investment banker's job is known to be more stressful and tiring as compared with that of a pharmaceutical statistician. From my experience, Investment bankers spend 12-16 hours in the office as compared with 8-9 hours for pharmaceutical statistician.

Secondly, majority of the contemporary industries have free access to gyms and health programs for their employees. The argument doesn't mention the details about the hours of operation of the exercise facilities. This could be a determining factor in understanding the effectiveness of the program because if the gym is not open outside of office hours, majority of people will go home versus going to gym. Majority of times, employees don't get time to go to gym during office hours. I have seen people skipping lunch for attending meetings. The company should enforce "1 hour" lunch window where no meetings should be allowed.

Thirdly, there are other activities and programs that can reduce stress, as for e.g. yoga and meditation. Timely health checkups can also help employees to check their overall health. Like Google, the company should let their employees spend 20% of their time working on activities that they like to do. Google maps and Google news are very good example of these initiatives. For women, the company should provide child-care facilities so that they don't have to worry about their kids while they are in the office, leading to improvement in the efficiency.

Fourthly, the argument fails to address other non-health related issues that may lead to higher levels of stress e.g. work cleanliness, sound-proofness of cubicle and flexible work hours. Work life balance can really help employees to improve their efficiencies. The company can not succeed by giving benefits to only white collar employees and not giving benefits to others. All the employees and right placement resources should be treated equally. The employees should be allowed to work from home some days so that they can spend some time with their families. This will help the company and employees to save some dollars spent on commute, office electricity bills and will in turn give tax benefits to the company for going "green."

Finally, not every company can succeed by implementing health and welfare programs. The company has to make sure that right strategies are made for it to be profitable. Google would not have been profitable without good strategies. Employees' welfare and strategies are part and parcel of the success. One cannot ignore any one of them. However, inclination towards one side should not affect the other side.

Hence, the argument needs to be improved and well contextualized for it to be air-tight.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '14, HKUST, ISB
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 35

Re: Please rate my 1st essay...tried for 2 months...Analyze issu [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 05:22
Hey. This is an analysis of issue essay :) you are expected to either support or oppose the stand taken by author of statement.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 78

Re: Please rate my 1st essay...tried for 2 months...Analyze issu [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 18:15
meprarth wrote:
Hey. This is an analysis of issue essay :) you are expected to either support or oppose the stand taken by author of statement.

yes, so i rejected the argument. why do u say so ?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Please rate my 1st essay...tried for 2 months...Analyze issu [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 08:11
Humble Request: Could someone kindly rate this ?

In today's corporate world, competition among the workforce and the stress levels within office has increased to a large extent. Projects have strict deadlines and employees sometimes work extra hours to meet such deadlines. Also, since a lot of work in corporate environment is computer based, people tend to sit at a single place for long. They tend to exercise less which deteriorates their health. In an environment like this, it is very important that employees also focus on themselves. It is only when they are fit can they contribute to the organization to a larger extent. Thus, to maximize profits, companies need to provide white-collar employees with free exercise facilities and free wellness classes.

The first and the foremost reason why the author's viewpoint is very strong is that a healthy employee can contribute to the organization to a much larger extent than an employee who is stressed out and un-healthy. Employees with poor health tend to take more days off from work which impacts the organization's profitability. The more an employee is available for work, the higher is his productivity. Under such circumstances, an organization may find that providing free exercise facilities and free wellness classes could be much cheaper than losing on the profitability when the employee is ill.

Secondly, today, most of the organizations are trying to get themselves rated as the best place to work. Employees give a lot of importance to an organization's work culture. They understand that an organization giving extra benefits other than just the salary might be a preferable option than a company which does not. Prospective employees with multiple job offers would definitely prefer a better rated organization while comparing different aspects of an organization and not just the salary offered. An organization which provides such extra benefits like free exercise facilities and free wellness classes can definitely have an upper edge and better goodwill among its competitors.

Also, these free facilities help employees save a lot of their time. Employees would prefer joining such free facilities which are made available within the office campus. This reduces their traveling time and thus helps save more time for their personal life. This in turn helps employees manage a better work-life balance. Such employees are generally much more happier and contribute more to an organization.

In all, there are a lot of reasons why an organisation should consider providing free exercise facilities and free wellness classes to their employees to maximise their profitability.
Re: Please rate my 1st essay...tried for 2 months...Analyze issu   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2011, 08:11