Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please rate my Analysis of an Issue Essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Please rate my Analysis of an Issue Essay [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 03:32
“It is unrealistic to expect individual nations to make, independently, the sacrifices necessary to conserve energy. International leadership and worldwide cooperation are essential if we expect to protect the world’s energy resources for future generations.”
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

The amount of production and consumption of energy sources various across countries. There are several different forms of energy Coal, Natural gas, Petroleum, Nuclear Energy, Solar Energy etc. Different forms of energy are used in different sectors. Energy sources are shared across countries. Example: A country might be sufficient in Nuclear power but deficient in Petroleum. It needs Petroleum from other countries. Given the scenario like this, it is unrealistic to expect individual nations to make sacrifices independently to conserve energy. International leadership and worldwide cooperation are essential to protect Worlds energy resources for future generations.

According to 2006 data, China, United States of America and Russia are the major producers and consumers of world energy. These three countries together produced 41% and consumed 43% of world’s total energy. Residential, Commercial and Transportation are the sectors consuming major proportions of world’s total energy. Residential and transport are the sectors consuming about half of the United States energy.
Energy conservation has to be achieved in two ways: Maximize Energy efficiency and Reduce Energy Usage. Industrial and Transportation sector need to maximize energy efficiency. Residential sector need to reduce energy usage. Countries like United states, Japan, United Kingdom, India, Iran, European union, Srilanka etc have come up with strategies to reduce power consumption. Scientists are constantly researching for alternative energy sources for future generations

Active and Passive solar energy are used for Energy conservation. Green Home, Florescent lamps instead of Incandescent lights, etc are the innovative methods used to reduce power consumption. Advertising with high energy power has to be reduced to achieve power consumption. European union has set goal to reduced its power consumption by 20% before 2020. With growing needs to reduce power consumption, Manufacturing companies are displaying the energy consumption rating on the product enabling consumers to decide on lower energy consumption product. Apart from government organizations, there are private bodies like Carbon Trust and Energy Savings Trust which creates awareness on Energy savings.

In conclusion I would like to emphasize that even though individual nation’s attempts to reduce energy consumption there should be an international leadership to create significant changes in energy savings. The International body could be G8 nations. It should come up with Energy standards, Energy usage guidance, strategies for energy savings. International body should set goals for individual nations based on the industries, transportation and population. Appropriate actions or help must be provided to the country which doesn’t meet energy consumption goal.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: Please rate my Analysis of an Issue Essay [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 23:56
in my opinion you made a good start with the opening paragraph, and took a strong stand.
but from there on there are just too many statistics and information relating to newer breakthroughs in energy conservation and efforts taken by different countries to reduce energy consumption. some of the points were quite relevant and these should have been used to form a logic which would have strengthened your stand.
for instance,
"Countries like United states, Japan, United Kingdom, India, Iran, European union, Srilanka etc have come up with strategies to reduce power consumption"
Here you could have shown how international cooperation between these countries can lead to better results.
"Scientists are constantly researching for alternative energy sources for future generations"
how can intl cooperation lead to more fruitful results in such researches.

more logics should have been formed why the burden of energy conservation should not be dropped on onto the shoulders of a single nation or a small group of nations. how will intl cooperation will lead to better results?

hope this helps :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: Please rate my Analysis of an Issue Essay [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 11:32
The first paragraph should be more organized to convey your stand more clearly. I liked the essay and the content was appropriate. I personally would not use concrete statistics only because I would be too worried about the accuracy of the statements I am making.

One of the paragraphs lists how individual countries are already trying to implement energy conservation which would be a good argument against the issue.
Re: Please rate my Analysis of an Issue Essay   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2012, 11:32