Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please rate my AWA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 16

Please rate my AWA [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 08:42
The following appeared in the editorial section of a newspaper:

"As public concern over drug abuse has increased, authorities have become more vigilant in their efforts to prevent illegal drugs from entering the country. Many drug traffickers have consequently switched from marijuana, which is bulky, or heroin, which has a market too small to justify the risk of severe punishment, to cocaine. Thus enforcement effots have ironically resulted in an observed increase in the illegal use of cocaine."

Quote:
The argument claims that the efforts of authorities to prevent illegal drugs from entering the country have ironically resulted in increasing the illegal trade of cocaine. However, the argument makes unwarranted assumptions, and it doesn’t provide enough information to support some of its premises. In other words, the argument has several flaws that are going to be discussed next.

First, the argument readily assumes that there is a causal relationship between the authorities efforts and the increased traffic of cocaine. Maybe there is an alternative explanation. For instance, we could imagine that the increased sales of cocaine are result of a higher price of that drug, so criminals are focusing their efforts in selling more that drug. In this sense, the author must provide information able to eliminate alternative explanations to make more solid the argument.

Second, the argument also indicates that the authorities efforts have made drug traffickers to reduce the trade of marijuana and heroin. Again, that is a claim that lacks of enough evidence. Maybe the traffickers are selling less of these drugs because drug producers in foreign countries are having problems in processing those drugs because of a lack of raw material. Thus, if the author wants to make his or her argument more convincing, he or she has to provide more evidence about the possible causes of the reduced traffic of these illegal drugs.

Third, the author makes the unwarranted assumption that entering illegal drugs in the country is an important factor that explains how the drug trade behaves. Maybe most of the illegal drugs consumed in the country are not imported; perhaps the majority is produced locally. So, the author cannot conclude that preventing international traffic is a cause in the increased sales of heroine. Therefore, the author must show how representative are imported drugs in the market of illegal drugs.

In conclusion, the author makes assumptions without enough evidence, and he or she doesn´t provide enough information to support some of his or her premises. In this sense, the author must provide the data required in the paragraphs above.

Thanks!
Expert Post
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 115

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

Re: Please rate my AWA [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 21:03
Expert's post
this essay has all the main components necessary but lacks the complete analysis to get top scores. if your body paragraph introductions explained a little more than just saying your point, your score would be greatly improved. Also, avoid terms such as "will be discussed next" it is too informal for this type of essay. however, you have three good points and use good topic sentences. I would score this essay a 4 - 4.5
danzig wrote:
The following appeared in the editorial section of a newspaper:

"As public concern over drug abuse has increased, authorities have become more vigilant in their efforts to prevent illegal drugs from entering the country. Many drug traffickers have consequently switched from marijuana, which is bulky, or heroin, which has a market too small to justify the risk of severe punishment, to cocaine. Thus enforcement effots have ironically resulted in an observed increase in the illegal use of cocaine."

Quote:
The argument claims that the efforts of authorities to prevent illegal drugs from entering the country have ironically resulted in increasing the illegal trade of cocaine. However, the argument makes unwarranted assumptions, and it doesn’t provide enough information to support some of its premises. In other words, the argument has several flaws that are going to be discussed next.

First, the argument readily assumes that there is a causal relationship between the authorities efforts and the increased traffic of cocaine. Maybe there is an alternative explanation. For instance, we could imagine that the increased sales of cocaine are result of a higher price of that drug, so criminals are focusing their efforts in selling more that drug. In this sense, the author must provide information able to eliminate alternative explanations to make more solid the argument.

Second, the argument also indicates that the authorities efforts have made drug traffickers to reduce the trade of marijuana and heroin. Again, that is a claim that lacks of enough evidence. Maybe the traffickers are selling less of these drugs because drug producers in foreign countries are having problems in processing those drugs because of a lack of raw material. Thus, if the author wants to make his or her argument more convincing, he or she has to provide more evidence about the possible causes of the reduced traffic of these illegal drugs.

Third, the author makes the unwarranted assumption that entering illegal drugs in the country is an important factor that explains how the drug trade behaves. Maybe most of the illegal drugs consumed in the country are not imported; perhaps the majority is produced locally. So, the author cannot conclude that preventing international traffic is a cause in the increased sales of heroine. Therefore, the author must show how representative are imported drugs in the market of illegal drugs.

In conclusion, the author makes assumptions without enough evidence, and he or she doesn´t provide enough information to support some of his or her premises. In this sense, the author must provide the data required in the paragraphs above.

Thanks!

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Re: Please rate my AWA   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2013, 21:03