Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 21:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please rate my essay (AWA - Issue)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please rate my essay (AWA - Issue) [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 23:04
Issue:
Consumers need to be protected from companies that make deceptive claims in their advertising. However, companies should always be allowed to make truthful claims, even if those claims could be misunderstood by some consumers.

My Answer:

The author says that, consumers should be protected from deceptive claims, whereas truthful claims that are misleading could very well be allowed. The prospect of such an advertisement is rather intriguing. The supporters of this idea might regard saying the information conveyed cannot depend on how the receiver understands it. But, this idea would practically prove to be Pandora’s Box for the companies that broadcast misleading advertisements for the following reasons discussed below.

Firstly, it is possible that a company could make a truthful claim which is misunderstood by consumers leading to dissatisfaction among the consumers. For example, a tooth paste manufacturing company advertises that their toothpaste has highest quantity of salt in it. This might make people think with an assumption that quality of tooth paste is proportional to the quantity of salt content in it. Hence, this somehow creates customers to the company, who might be potential customers for a company that is manufacturing by far better products. As time rolls on, consumers realize the product with deceiving advertisement and tend to develop aversion towards that brand. In my view, the pitfalls of such advertisements that inadvertently induces a false sense of quality among customers, by far overweigh the potential advantages.

Secondly, it is possible to manipulate the truthful information which might be of no use, to seemingly appear very much useful. Also, an opportunity gained by a company through misdeeds is an opportunity lost to another company. Hence, in a free economy, such advertisements might misdirect people, leading to an abyss in the industry. Hence, there needs to be a panel that reviews every advertisement before it is broadcasted.

In sum, the author provides feeble rationale in allowing companies to make misleading claims while advertising. The thin line that differentiates between truthful but misleading claims and proper claims should be taken care.

Please rate the essay on a scale of 1-6. I have my test next week. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Saravanan Raj

"Marketing is not the art of finding clever ways to dispose of what you make. It is the art of creating genuine customer value."

Please rate my essay (AWA - Issue)   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2009, 23:04