Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please rate my first essay: Issue 1

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Please rate my first essay: Issue 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 21:58
Analysis of an Issue:

“In some countries, television and radio programs are carefully censored for offensive language and behavior. In other countries, there is little or no censorship.”
In your view, to what extent should government or any other group be able to censor television or radio programs?
Explain, giving relevant reasons and/or examples to support your position.

Many people think that government or other type of organization should censor offensive and language behavior in television and radio programs. Others think that there should not be this type of censorship; in other words, they agree with an absolute freedom in this aspect. The issue is a controversial one but a closer examination reveals that there should be certain regulations and limits for several reasons.

One reason is that the limits of our rights are the rights of other people. Let me explain, we can do whatever we want if these actions don’t harm the rights of other people. In this specific case of how people express in radio and television, they can say whatever they want but they should be careful that these expressions don’t harm the right of other people of being respected. In this sense, it’s mandatory that there should be an organization of the government or an NGO that can indicate if a specific television or radio program is going beyond these limits.

Another reason is that children learn everything from what they see and listen, and they repeat it through their behavior. Therefore, if we want to educate our children and have good citizens in the future, the society must supervise and regulate that the content of the programs is good for them. For example, a program that has been regulated were the wrestling TV programs because kids used to imitate the fights at their homes, but most of them get seriously injured when they tried to imitate the fights. Now, thanks to the regulations, these programs advertise that those stunts shouldn’t be repeated. They clearly say: “Don’t try this at home”.

However, I must admit that the point of the people who promote absolute freedom in media also is reasonable. Freedom of speech is a sacred right, which is protected in the Constitutions of many countries including the US. We cannot forget, for example, the case of Hugh Heffner who defended his right of producing magazines for adults. But although this is a sacred right, we cannot forget that the limit of this right is the right of other people, as I mentioned previously.

In summary, I agree that there should be regulations related about how people express in TV and radio programs because it is necessary to protect the rights of other people that could felt offended and to give a good education to our children. Although the freedom of speech is one of the most important rights in our Constitutions.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 498 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please rate my first essay: Issue 1 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Your essay seems good. I think you have read the chineseburned guide a number of times :) & that's great actually.

Only one point from my side & that is the conclusion para is a bit out of structure. You can improve the last para & then it will be a perfect essay IMHO.

Best of luck.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: Please rate my first essay: Issue 1 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 12:28
Hussain15 wrote:
Hi,

Your essay seems good. I think you have read the chineseburned guide a number of times :) & that's great actually.

Only one point from my side & that is the conclusion para is a bit out of structure. You can improve the last para & then it will be a perfect essay IMHO.

Best of luck.

Thanks Hussain15! I appreciate your comments. You deserve kudos.
Let me know if you need help in your essays. Cooperation is the key! 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Re: Please rate my first essay: Issue 1   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2010, 12:28