Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 14:36
Hello,

I'm looking for a good tutor in NYC. I've had someone recommend me a great tutor however his rate is $175 per hour, which quiet frankly is a bit high for me. Now If $175 is really the going rate though, then I may as well go for it as getting close to 700 is VERY important to me. Ive seen some places charge $225 per hour!

Thanks for your help
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9433 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 16:18
Expert's post
Yes, the going rate is close to $200 per hour and the rates you got are decent.
You can check with MGMAT or Veritas prep offer (about $200/hr).

However, you can get much more out of 5-7 hours with a tutor than a 30-hour class since you can cover probably 50-80 of material on your own and need help with only a few features/areas. If you need help everywhere, then the best bang for you buck is an in-person class which NYC does not lack :)

See this list for the best instructors we have: http://gmatclub.com/reviews/highest-rat ... nstructors
There are 2 in Manhattan (MGMAT and Veritas Prep that show up in top 10). I bet they probably tutor too.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 21:24
thanks for your help. unfortunately I took MGMAT classes twice and havent had much luck :(
I hope to find a tutor who can really take a look at what I'm doing wrong and help me correct my bad strategies.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 80

Re: Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 22:11
Yeah, the bad news is that $175 is arguably on the lower side for the best tutors in NYC. I used to live in NYC and could recommend a couple of independent tutors there, but they all charge somewhere in the $150-$250 range. At least the tutor you found is cheaper than Princeton Review, though--last time I checked, they were charging $350 for an hour with one of their "premier" tutors! Ouch. And they used to charge $450 a couple of years ago. Crazy, right?

You could also try craigslist and gmatix.com if you haven't already looked in those places. You might get lucky and find a diamond in the rough who hasn't figured out how high the market rates are yet.

Good luck! When you get to a 700+, you'll hopefully feel good about whatever money you ended up investing in the GMAT. :)

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 13:06
Did you ever settle on a tutor in NY? I can help if you are still looking.

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 12:53
Hey -

You still looking for a tutor/course? I would definitely recommend Tutor the People - just took a 6 week course (private one-on-one for way less than Kaplan/PR/etc...was only $70/hr) - and my score went up drastically. My tutor Sean scored in the 99th percentile and was extremely attentive to the areas that I needed to improve on in order to achieve a high score. Plus they donate 5% of the cost to Children of Promise - a non-profit that mentors and provides tutors to underprivileged children - which is pretty cool!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 21:48
I just checked out Tutor the People's website, and am interested...

Can you provide any further insight into how Sean was? I'm aiming for a 700+ score but have only been scoring in the mid-600's ish ;(
Re: Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2013, 21:48