Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
As mentioned in my debrief(pl read the highlighted text below) below Test center condition was not good.I have contacted GMAC Csutomer Service for same.I have got reply today that it has reviewed the incident(may be by audio detector placed there) and is ready to schedule a new exam at no additional cost.

What to do now??plz guide me.. I am ready for the exam but main trouble is that in Oct Diwali (biggest Indian Festival like Christmas) is there and I am on leave for entire weak...going my hometown...and since I have just given II GMAT attempt , I have planned(already booked hotels) for Mahaleshwar(hill station in India) Trip coming long holiday (2nd Oct - 4 Oct) ..so in short I am out of touch to GMAT.....Do any of you know how many days maximum time limit I have to reschedule....I have received a mail from GMAC...and I have to contact it ASAP....what u suggest guys...

bb...or any of moderators or anyone have information on such cases plz reply

My Debrief ( although not very interesting..just writing to make u guys, who have helped me enormously, aware of the new changes in pattern of GMAT) .....

Ist attempt : Preparation around 4 months..(mainly on Sat ..n Sun)

Scores : MGMAT1 : 620 ( Q : 46, V: 30)
GMATPREP1 : 650 ( Q : 48, V: 31)
GMATPREP1 : 690 ( Q : 49, V: 34)

Actual : 660 ( Q: 49, V:32)

IInd attempt : Preparation around 4 months(intense)....

Scores : GMATPREP1 : 710 ( Q : 48, V: 39)
GMATPREP2 : 690 ( Q : 50, V: 34)
GMATPREP3 : 750 ( Q : 50, V: 41)
GMATPREP4 : 700 ( Q : 50, V: 34)
GMATPREP5 : 730 ( Q : 50, V: 39)
GMATPREP6 : 740 ( Q : 51, V: 38)

Actual : 650 (Q : 47, V:33)
GMAT has changed
Exam Day : Appointment : 3:00 18 Sep

Reached there 30 min before.

Center Condition : Some construction work is going on the floor above Peasron's Office(Mumbai)....so noise is very heavy...defiintely enough to distract you..n that to for all 4:30 hrs...although they given us ear plugs ..it was of no use.....imagine someone is beating hammer ..how just a ear plug can prevent it... ....Even though I don't knw how much it affected my performance...I am not satifised with the facility...GMAT fees is 250$..so we definitely expect good test environment...

Read the GMAC rules and policy document.The guy there told us about what to do..and what not to....

Imp Instruction :Break Interval has changed...from 10 min to 8 min....
Also now u will have 2 min (from 10 min earlier to decide that u want to report or cancel thy scores..)

So those were the signals enough to understand that GMAT has changed..

AWA : As usual one argument and other issue...

Quanta : Now this section surprised me completely....I am good at quanta (though not excellent) but the question completely stumped me....

Number of DS question has increased(at least I think)...I statred off well...n upto 4 question there were not much difficulty..from there on...the real question start coming....in a row there were some 7-8 DS question..n it is here I got entangled....I thought whew...GMAT is now unpredictable...

The main problem with DS question was that they are lenghty...u have to read atleast three line of question....n that too with confusing statement ..n then there will be two option one line each.....so u knw it was killing lot of time to understand the question.......

Surely GMAT has raised Qunata standard...(I can say boz I have experince form my previous exam 6 month back).....there were not any simple question (except 1 or 2)......

Topics concentration also has changed little bit ..as far as I remeber it covered following topic mainly.....Weigthed average,3 set problem involving
maxium values, sequence , geometry with 3-d figure ...n all other

So as the time constraint is there...I was just guessing(smartly) the DS questions....I was expecting that I would land on 44..but somehow I managed 47....the most imp thing I want to share is I think I was ill prepeared for such question as I hoped GMAT math is easy....n I was sure that they will repeat the pattern....but that was not the case surely the difficulty is much beyond GMAT Prep...

Intermission : 8 min..now that too small even to eat choclate...I don't know why the hell they chanegd from 10 to 8 min...

VA : VA too has chanegd ...the most I can notice in critical reasoning question.....there were jsut 1 assumption...1 weaken,three discrepancy , n three question of type..which is best to know in order to evaluate the argument.....4 passage, n usual SC.....

Learnings : GMAT has changed ....so can't rely fully on GMAT Prep..especially repeaters like me....bcoz u r going to c somewhat changed pattern.....the questions were also ordered in quite a different way as to GMAT Prep....

My verbal score could be little higher..but my mind had start thinking that I messed up with Quanta..so yup kind of 2 marks less for me in Verbal....
I guess the changed format screwed me..after a hard work of 4 month(esp in Verbal) ..I landed up with 10 mark less....

Should I go for a retake??

That's all from my side......

Last edited by age on 25 Sep 2009, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 08:18
Cant you schedule your GMAT after diwali vacation?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 08:22
orsang8 wrote:
Cant you schedule your GMAT after diwali vacation?

Yeah I think 1st or 2nd week of nov will be good for me...but my question is should I tell them abt Diwali...and ask for time ahead of that? Also will it be counted my second or third attempt??
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2241

Kudos [?]: 8460 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 08:28
Expert's post
I think you should be able to take the GMAT at any reasonable time. They may not have space between now and October and I actually think that they will want to schedule you for October or 31 days out so that there is no question overlap. I think it is safe to give them a call and find out your options, then politely tell them that you need to consult with your (family/boss/etc) before you can commit, to make sure there are not conflicts. Then come back and let's discuss :).

The only challenge is that you will have to keep studying through holidays if you put it off but there is a chance of bumping your score a bit too.

That would be my suggestion. Let me know if I missed anything.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 08:41
bb wrote:
I think you should be able to take the GMAT at any reasonable time. They may not have space between now and October and I actually think that they will want to schedule you for October or 31 days out so that there is no question overlap. I think it is safe to give them a call and find out your options, then politely tell them that you need to consult with your (family/boss/etc) before you can commit, to make sure there are not conflicts. Then come back and let's discuss :).

The only challenge is that you will have to keep studying through holidays if you put it off but there is a chance of bumping your score a bit too.

That would be my suggestion. Let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks bb..ur suggestion is very useful as as always :) I will make a call and discuss with GMAT customer service...let c
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 09:56
Expert's post
Let us know. By the way, did you get a GMAT Voucher or in what form/shape are you able to get a free re-take?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 10:20
bb wrote:
Let us know. By the way, did you get a GMAT Voucher or in what form/shape are you able to get a free re-take?

Finally,after thinking a lot, I made a call to GMAT Customer Service, and to my surprise guy responding to my queries not know much about procedures in such case.He put my call on hold for 4 times (increasing my bill for international call :x ...spoken with him for 25 min)........ he told me ( after discussing with colleagues or referring to manuals..I don't knw :roll: ) that I can schedule the exam date as per my flexibility( the only restriction I can't take it for 31 days from my previous exam date)....I asked him can I take the date in Nov. ..he repeated that I can take any date,center, time as per my convenience ...the only thing that will be changed is there would be no fees ... :wink: ....

I have not got any voucher.The guy on phone told me that date will scheduled only on phone, so I have to call ... report my incident number and take a date...

bb..what should me my strategy now...any advice would be helpful...What date should I take(as I m completely busy in Oct.) ..Nov/Dec(I hope I m free on both months)...I don't want to miss second deadline.....what should be plan for study????
I hope my marks not decrease this time :?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 10:31
Also I was told by GMAT Customer Serivce that previous score would not be cancelled as it has already been sent to B-schools....To add , I have not asked for exam reschedule....I only reported the incident..I think god wants me to give exam again :o
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 16:45
Expert's post
You can't take a break before the test - that's a big no-no.
My suggestion would be taking 1-2 full tests every week. For example Saturday and Wed.
The rest of the time should be spent in review and mistake analysis and brushing up on the areas you find you are not comfortable with. (you'll know what to do)
Read fiction books (1 hr per day) the whole time to keep your ears and mind trained.

Don't schedule more than 45-60 days out. The longer you wait, the less chances of beating your original score.

This should do it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 22:32
bb wrote:
You can't take a break before the test - that's a big no-no.
My suggestion would be taking 1-2 full tests every week. For example Saturday and Wed.
The rest of the time should be spent in review and mistake analysis and brushing up on the areas you find you are not comfortable with. (you'll know what to do)
Read fiction books (1 hr per day) the whole time to keep your ears and mind trained.

Don't schedule more than 45-60 days out. The longer you wait, the less chances of beating your original score.

This should do it.

Thanks a lot for ur suggestion... :) I think I have also learned lesson from my second attempt that taking too much time not increase your score.. :| ....I am planning to take date in Nov.. and will update GMATclub abt my score ..if I appear for exam
Re: Please reply ...urgent(GMAC is giving me another chance..at   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2009, 22:32