Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please review my AWA!!! GMAT Tomorrow!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please review my AWA!!! GMAT Tomorrow!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 02:44
Hi,
I have a humble request. If possible, could you please rate my AOI?
I shall be extremely grateful.

Thanking in anticipation
Saarthak.

“Corporations and other businesses should try to eliminate the many ranks and salary grades that classify employees according to their experience and expertise. A ‘flat’ organizational structure is more likely to encourage collegiality and cooperation among employees.”

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons
and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Whether a flat organisational structure ecourages collegiality and cooperation among employees depends on the whether this structures solves the purpose of the organisation and of its employees. Majority of the organisations in world follow heirarchial structure. Therefore, in my view, flat organisational structure does not be supposed to solve purposes of organistaions and its employess.

The chief reason for my view is that ranks classify employess on the basis of their expertise and knowledge of their industry and work. Rank wise classification helps overall distribution and management of the work of the organisation. The higher ranked person manages a task by coordinating with people working under. In such a structure, responsibilities can be given to people who can ably manage the work, handle risks invovled and take affirmative actions. Since everybody is not capable of handling such a demanding role, people who have been ranked on the basis of their experience and knowledge are best suited for this role.

Another reason for my view is that every employee needs a motivating reason to do his or her job in the best possible manner. For many employees, earning more money is a very strong motivating factor, which makes them perform better. If, on performing better, an employee becomes more likely to rise higher in rank and thereby draw more salary, then, most employees will prefer grwoing like this. And, when an employee grows, the company grows and vice versa. In a flat structure, there is no scope of money being a motivating reason, therefore, in my opinion, employees won't put efforts to do their jobs in the best possible way.

However, people who oppose my view might say that in heirarchial organisations greed and competitive spirit is stronger and employees in such organisations are self centered and have less regard for equality. It might be true, but does it help in growth of the organisation? Does it help in growth of an individual?

In sum, I concur that the merits of rank and grade based organisational structure outweigh the merits of a flat organisational structure. Therefore, rank and grade based organisational structure must remain and continue.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 482 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my AWA!!! GMAT Tomorrow!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 02:56
A few observation points from my side

-The last two paragraphs seem to be a little small. This makes the whole essay a little short of words.
-The chief or primary reason given in the second para should be given in the end, before conclusion.
-The use of word "my" & "I" is a bit awkward. Try to avoid these words.

I hope you have followed the great chineseburned guide of AWA. If not, kindly do so at your earliest. how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Best of luck for tomorrow & keep in touch.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2270

Kudos [?]: 8763 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please review my AWA!!! GMAT Tomorrow!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 14:39
Expert's post
Good Luck!
Don't worry about AWA too much. Let us know how it goes.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please review my AWA!!! GMAT Tomorrow!!! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 18:05
Got 700. Q50, V36.
I forgot to keep a check on time in verbal, so had to attempt final 10-12 questions in a little hurry. That cost me probably 2 questions. :( else the score would have been 710 or 720. Anyways. that's it.

AWA went fine, didn't have any problems attempting essays. Had a good look at the templates and duplicated them :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my AWA!!! GMAT Tomorrow!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:07
saarthakvats wrote:
AWA went fine, didn't have any problems attempting essays. Had a good look at the templates and duplicated them :)

In the hope you still lurk around the forum, which templates are you talking about? Chinesebured ones?

By the way you've got a nice score, yet I would not recommend anyone to be under such pressure as you were one day before the test.

Best regards,
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Please review my AWA!!! GMAT Tomorrow!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 07:11
Could someone please rate my AWA ?

In the statement above, the author argues that the corporations and other businesses should try to eliminate the many ranks and salary grades that classify employees according to their experience and expertise. By making the organizational structure flat, it is more likely to encourage collegiality and coperation among employees.
My opinion stands on the opposite side stressing more that the ranks and grades are indeed required in smooth functioning of an organization.

Ranks and salary grades helps an organisation to manage it better. They filter employees based on different segments with different experience and expertise. This helps the organization to create policies specific to particular grades and ranks. Example a manager might be allowed to approve leaves of his subordinates. So his grade only gets the kind of approval rights required. He might be given higher allowances based on his rank as a manager.

In addition to the above paragraph, grades and ranks allows an employee to understand the kind of responsibility and position he has within an organization. It helps him to understand the kind of contribution he or she makes at that level of employment.

Since employees can have different experience and expertise, they would like to have themselves differentiated from his subordinates. A lot of employees take pride in the kind of senior ranks and grades they have. This also ensures that his juniors give him the kind of respect he deserves at an organizational level. In a professional organization, the cooperation amoung employees comes automatically irrespective of the rank people hold. Cooperation and collegiality is a part of the attitude one posseses and is not respective with his grade and rank.

To sum, the argument seems to be flawed and unconvincing since the cooperation and collegiality being a part of the attitude are separate from the ranks and grades employees hold. Also, ranks and grades form a very basic part of a professional organization providing it with the right structure for day to day working. It provides the organization with a concrete hirearchy and helps make the reporting structure more transparent.

saarthakvats wrote:
Hi,
I have a humble request. If possible, could you please rate my AOI?
I shall be extremely grateful.

Thanking in anticipation
Saarthak.

“Corporations and other businesses should try to eliminate the many ranks and salary grades that classify employees according to their experience and expertise. A ‘flat’ organizational structure is more likely to encourage collegiality and cooperation among employees.”

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons
and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Whether a flat organisational structure ecourages collegiality and cooperation among employees depends on the whether this structures solves the purpose of the organisation and of its employees. Majority of the organisations in world follow heirarchial structure. Therefore, in my view, flat organisational structure does not be supposed to solve purposes of organistaions and its employess.

The chief reason for my view is that ranks classify employess on the basis of their expertise and knowledge of their industry and work. Rank wise classification helps overall distribution and management of the work of the organisation. The higher ranked person manages a task by coordinating with people working under. In such a structure, responsibilities can be given to people who can ably manage the work, handle risks invovled and take affirmative actions. Since everybody is not capable of handling such a demanding role, people who have been ranked on the basis of their experience and knowledge are best suited for this role.

Another reason for my view is that every employee needs a motivating reason to do his or her job in the best possible manner. For many employees, earning more money is a very strong motivating factor, which makes them perform better. If, on performing better, an employee becomes more likely to rise higher in rank and thereby draw more salary, then, most employees will prefer grwoing like this. And, when an employee grows, the company grows and vice versa. In a flat structure, there is no scope of money being a motivating reason, therefore, in my opinion, employees won't put efforts to do their jobs in the best possible way.

However, people who oppose my view might say that in heirarchial organisations greed and competitive spirit is stronger and employees in such organisations are self centered and have less regard for equality. It might be true, but does it help in growth of the organisation? Does it help in growth of an individual?

In sum, I concur that the merits of rank and grade based organisational structure outweigh the merits of a flat organisational structure. Therefore, rank and grade based organisational structure must remain and continue.
Re: Please review my AWA!!! GMAT Tomorrow!!!   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2011, 07:11