Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Please review my essay"

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

"Please review my essay" [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 22:35
1) Some people choose friends who are different from themselves. Others choose friends who are similar to themselves. Compare the advantages of having friends who are different from you with the advantages of having friends who are similar to you. Which kind of friend do you prefer for yourself? Why?

Almost everyone in this world has friends. Some are similar in nature and some are different. Regardless of these differences, there are few advantages of having such friends.

Some people choose friends who are different from themselves. Others choose friends who are similar to themselves. Given a choice, I would prefer friends who are similar to me, because they are more likely to understand me, how I act, how I react and how I view my life. We share the same emotions at time. For example, Rahul and I have no problem finding a place for ourselves to eat whenever we go out because we both enjoy eating as well as each other’s company. We have same opinion on most of the things. We share our opinions on fashion, movie, bikes, and etc. Friends who are similar make us feel comfortable around them. Friends who are similar have an added advantage. We will have confidence on each other. We expect the same outcome in life. Moreover, if I am good to other people and helpful in nature, even my friend will be same. Aesop’s fable – “Birds of same feather flock together” or “A man is known by the company he keeps” best describes this situation.

According to me, choosing friends different from myself is also an advantage comparatively lesser than choosing friends similar to me. Because friends different from myself will have different opinions, different way of understanding things. They will act and react differently. They will have different hobbies which we can learn from each other. We will come to know other meanings of life. People always say that “opposite attracts”. Friends with different interest and opinions most of the time criticize and introduces us with new things in life. For example, Sunjay and I have been friends for almost five years now. Despite our differences, we have never had a single fight in our friendship. In fact, it was Varsha who introduced me to
eating sushi and River-Rafting. Though eating sushi and River-rafting is not on my favourite list but it is fun and enjoyable to try new and different things in life.

Weighing these two options, I would prefer the latter option, but what is more important is how we value your friendship and how we are with each other.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 577 [0], given: 114

Re: "Please review my essay" [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 14:06
So unfortunately I don't know how to grade these types of essays, but let me rewrite it for you in a way that would be considered more gramatically correct.

I would also recommend that you search the boards and read some well crafted AWA essays. Although they are different, they might help you formulate a stronger essay. These essays will show you a little bit more about what is expected from you in achademic writing. Also, read this post on how to ge 6 AWA. It might help you form a plan for your test: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html Good Luck!:

Everyone in the world has friends. Some of these friends are similar to ourselves and others are different. Regardless of these differences, there are many advantages to having both types of friends.

Some people choose friends who are different from themselves while others choose friends who are similar to themselves. Given a choice, I would prefer friends who are similar to myself because they are more likely to understand me, how I act, and how I view life. We would also share many of the same emotions. For example, my friend Rahul and I have no problem agreeing on a place to eat whenever we go out because we both enjoy the same types of foods and enjoy each other’s company. We also have many of the same opinions on things such as fashion, movies, bikes, etc. Friends who are similar make us feel comfortable. For instance, Aesop's fable - "Birds of same feather flock together" is a story about how similar people are more likely to enjoy each other’s company. This is an excellent example of how similar people tend to be more likely to get along.

Additionally, choosing friends different from myself also has many advantages. Friends with differing views from myself will allow me to see things differently. They will have different hobbies which I could learn from them. People always say opposites attract because each person has something that will compliment the other. Friends with different interests and opinions will question us and introduce us to new things in life. For example, my friend Sunjay and I have been friends for almost five years now. Despite our differences, we have never had a single fight. I attribute this to the fact that our differences actually make us better people, and we learn a lot from each other. Another friend of mine, Varsha, introduced me to eating sushi and river-rafting, something I would have never tried if it wasn't for her.

Weighing these two options, I would prefer the latter option, but what is more important is how we value our friendships and how we enjoy ourselves when we are with our friends.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: "Please review my essay"   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2011, 14:06