Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please review my essay. Reviews will be rewarded.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Please review my essay. Reviews will be rewarded. [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 01:17
The following appeared in the letters-to-the-editor section of a local newspaper.
“Muscle Monthly, a fitness magazine that regularly features pictures of bodybuilders using state-of-the-art exercise machines, frequently sells out, according to the owner of Skyview Newsstand. To help maximize fitness levels in our town’s residents, we should, therefore, equip our new community fitness center with such machines.”
Discuss how well reasoned... etc.

See my response below :

The author states that since the fitness magazine “Muscle Monthly”, which features pictures of bodybuilders using state of the art machines, sells out regularly at the local Newsstand, the community should equip the new fitness center with these machines to help maximize the fitness level of the residents of the town. The arguments makes several assumptions, lack of evidence to which renders the argument flawed.

First the author assumes that the people who purchase the fitness magazine purchase it with the aim of maximizing their fitness level. It could very well be that these residents buy the magazine to appreciate the good work put in by these bodybuilders with no intention to increase their muscle mass. It could also be that the primary purpose that they buy this magazine for is to read the articles which are not related to bodybuilding on increasing fitness.

Second the author assumes that the fact that the fitness magazine “Muscle Monthly” sells out at the local newsstand is a true indicator that most people want to increase their fitness level. The arguments fails to provide the proportion of the population that buy this magazine. It could very well be that the local newsstand stocks only 5 copies of the magazine and so the magazine is sold out regularly.

Third the argument concludes that if these machines are installed in the fitness center, resident would use these machines on a regular basis. While the residents may be interested to increase their fitness level, there is no evidence in the argument which says that these residents will use these machines often to maximize their fitness.

The argument can however be strengthened if there is evidence that those who purchase “Muscle monthly” are avid gym-goers and would use the newly equipped fitness center sufficiently to increase their fitness levels.

Without accounting for the above mentioned assumptions with substantial evidence , the argument fails to hold strong and is not credible.
Expert Post
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

Re: Please review my essay. Reviews will be rewarded. [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 08:43
Expert's post
This essay hits all the major points and is organized well so for that it would receive higher marks, however the logic is not as fully explained as it could be. Adding one or two sentences to each paragraph would greatly improve this essay and establish a better flow. Also, the sentence "The arguments makes several assumptions, lack of evidence to which renders the argument flawed." has many grammatical flaws and since it is the thesis statement of your essay hurts the overall impression.

If you simply changed it to: "The argument makes several assumptions with no evidence to back them up. This lack of logical evidence renders the argument flawed" it would go a long way towards fixing your holistic score.

as written I would probably grade this essay a 4

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Re: Please review my essay. Reviews will be rewarded.   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2013, 08:43