Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please review my first issue essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please review my first issue essay [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 21:49
ESSAY QUESTION: “Companies should be prohibited from monitoring e-mail correspondence of their employees, since this policy destroys the atmosphere of trust and undermines employee morale.”

From your perspective, how accurate is the above statement? Support your position with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

YOUR RESPONSE:
According to the author "Companies should be prohibited from monitoring e-mail correspondence of their employees, since this policy destroys the atmosphere of trust and undermines employee morale". I dont agree with the author. I have substantial reasons to support my position. A few include:

The first reason is that a policing system is required to ensure the corporate responsibility and cleanliness in the way company does the business. Any registered organization is a corporate citizen and is responsible for any misgivings by its employees. Hence in-order to maintain company's integrity its required to monitor the e-mails.

Secondly, monitoring system ensures that people adhere to the compliance as it adds an individual responsibility on the employee and stops him/her from sending any unsolicited e-mails OR leak confidential information of the organization. This helps the organization to ensure integrity and customer trust. Therefore it adds value to the organization and there by to its employees. For example, it would be unreasonable to claim that inorder to build trust with citizens, traffic police department should trust that citizens comply to traffic rules.

Third reason is that, official e-mail facility is provided to the employee strictly for official purposes. Hence monitoring the system should not offend the employee who is adhered to the guidelines. A person should be worried only when he/she is committing the mistake. Recently one of the telcom leaders of United states, paid a hefty sum of $130 million to US government for the corruption committed by its employees. This would have been avoided if the company had correct monitoring systems in place.

Finally, educating the employees about the e-mail monitoring system can help in enhancing the employee morale. Organization should make them understand the importance of this system to the organization and impact of misuse of the official e-mails on the company as well as employees.

Thus, I strongly believe that email monitoring system coupled with required education programs helps the company in maintaining its integrity without hurting its employee morale.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Please review my first issue essay [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 22:52
First and second reasons seem overlapping. :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 66

Re: Please review my first issue essay [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 08:04
I agree with phanquockiet, but the best way to help your issue essay flow from that paragraph to the next is by adding 'moreover' or 'furthermore'. Other than that I think I'd probably give it a 5.5.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Re: Please review my first issue essay   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2011, 08:04