Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please review my gmat study approach and answer a wild q

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

please review my gmat study approach and answer a wild q [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 19:37
Hey everybody, Im new here and wanted to consult with you GMAT gurus regarding my approach. there are two things I wantd to ask

1) My appointment is on the 29th Oct. I took the GMAT once before, but I went in w/o any study at all, scored 540. 34q 31v

I finished Princeton Review Cracking the GMAT, I also finished a Manhattan Prep Book for geometry (formerly a week area).

Until the test I plan to complete the OG as well as the GMAT 800 book, I will aslo be finishing 5-6 online sample GMATs and the PowerPrep SOftware GMATS.

How does this approach sound? I am aiming for 700 +.

2)I scored 95% or better on all sections of the OG diagnostic test but got 560 on powerprep when I tried it two days ago, what the heck does this mean? how could this happen ?

thank you very much!

Viktor
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 11:10
The diagnostic test in the OG, like all other paper tests, is basically worthless when it comes to assessing your probable score on the real thing.

Paper tests aren't adaptive and they don't put you on the clock. It may not be what you want to hear, but your 560 is the best indicator you have of what you're likely to score on the GMAT if you took it tomorrow.

--
http://www.gmathacks.com
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 06:16
jeffsackmann wrote:
The diagnostic test in the OG, like all other paper tests, is basically worthless when it comes to assessing your probable score on the real thing.

Paper tests aren't adaptive and they don't put you on the clock. It may not be what you want to hear, but your 560 is the best indicator you have of what you're likely to score on the GMAT if you took it tomorrow.

--
http://www.gmathacks.com

i tried to simulate the adaptive format by flipping and doing random OG book excercises, from all area tough and easy, and got above 95% right...but the thing is these were untimed, so I know how to do them but it takes too long...

i understand 560 is the score i would get under the same conditions that i took it under, but maybe I can i mprove by adjusting to these conditions during the next month= learn to do them in less time ??? or gain some skills/knowledge in a month
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2007, 12:30
You should be taking CATs, not trying to simulate CATs by flipping through the OG. It just isn't the same. Did you take the tests in the PR book? How did you score? Have you taken the GMATPrep tests yet?

I would plan on taking those 6 tests over the next few weeks. Carefully review your answers and then work on weak areas.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2007, 17:38
Calamity Jane wrote:
You should be taking CATs, not trying to simulate CATs by flipping through the OG. It just isn't the same. Did you take the tests in the PR book? How did you score? Have you taken the GMATPrep tests yet?

I would plan on taking those 6 tests over the next few weeks. Carefully review your answers and then work on weak areas.

I took PR tests and got over 90% right, I took gmat prep as stated above and got 560 mysteriously
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2007, 19:45
viktorv wrote:
I took PR tests and got over 90% right, I took gmat prep as stated above and got 560 mysteriously

Its ALL in the timing Viktor. There are a bunch of posters on these forums (including me) who have 80% - 90% accuracy when doing untimed practice. We had some threads discussing these issues also.

I have come to the conclusion that GMAT is not about testing your knowledge... its basically about testing your knowledge under pressure (i.e under deadlines).
  [#permalink] 22 Sep 2007, 19:45