Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: Please review my profile [#permalink]
I would say its better to have 60+ months of work experience, coz some top schools do look for that kind of experience. Continue working for another one and half year. You should be good after that.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dominic wrote:
THank you so much for the great review!
The reason for my scattered work experience is the fact that I immigratted in the US in 2008. The first year, as the choices weren't too abundant, I worked as a waitress and opened my store. Then tried some internships but I wasn't ready for the real deal yet (culturally and linguistically speaking). Continued with my store and got a more promising job...Meanwhile I feel in love with e-commerce and now I dream to work at Amazon. This is one of the reasons UW looks to be a good fit, plus the fact that my family is tied to the Northwest.

Thank you again, you really made me think deeper on this...

I think it's great that you know you want to do something with e-commerce and let's be honest with ourselves: most transactions are going to be done electronically in the near future :-D

If you feel that your numbers are aligned with the numbers posted by UW and that you can make a convincing case, sure, go for it (I wouldn't go for round 3 this very year if it hasn't passed yet). Echoing spidy's comment, you really want to aim for at least a good 3 or 4 years of work experience before you make your trip to b-school. The reason is simple: your future employability and your discussion in class. With little to no work experience, how can one contribute to the discussions held in class when the case is on supply chain management? Or how can one person contribute if Amazon is looking to expand both organizationally and geographically? It becomes intrinsically harder for the person with no real corporate experience because sure, you can talk about the hypothetical situations, but when it comes down to the real world experience, person with no work experience don't have any concrete examples to lead the discussions with. So that's one main reason that b-schools look for stable corporate environment in an applicant. Secondly is the employability. Why should Google or Amazon take a person who has never worked in technology before post-MBA? Why should Bank of America invest in a person who was running marathons pre-MBA? I'm not saying that these type of people can't get in the firm, but they'll have to make a very convincing case as to why these firms should hire them in the first place. Let's take you for example. You want to work in Amazon due to its e-commerce, but you have little experience in it. Why should Amazon hire you instead of another person who worked for Cisco or Qualcomm pre-MBA and know that this applicant has a strong background? I'm most definilyte not saying you're not qualified, but you have to just think deep as to why b-schools want you, and why firms would hire you. The easiest indicator for them is, of course, your GMAT, GPA, and your work experience. GMAT and GPA can broadly say that you have the intellect to succeed, and your work experience shows that you have the ability to succeed in a corporate environment. Thus, most students enter b-school with at least 3 years of work experience. Again, there are always going to be oddballs with just 1 year or 2 years of experience, but they must have compensated the lack of WE with something else extraordinary. As for you, your best bet would be to wait at least another year. As I've mentioned, your grades are good enough to get you in any b-school, the only setback right now is your work experience. If you can somehow pull that together, go for a higher tier school, such as Kellogg or Sloan and your dream of working at Amazon will be that much closer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Your first task should be to do some thinking and find out what you wat to do after your MBA? Which industry you want to go and what function interests you? The school selection should be based on your career goals rather than vice-versa. If you decide to wait for a year or two to build up your work experience, find a job that fits with your career vision and goals story.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all for your inputs, they are very important for me.

bakfed, those are exactly my concerns. But I am at a point in my carreer where it's worth taking the risk. Let me explain myself. I am an Executive Assitant and reached plateau already. There isn't any room to grow. If I change my job now (which I will, if I do not get in), I would start in a different direction, different job. If I apply next year, this experience may not be too relevant for adcoms anyways, it would be one more bullet in my scattered work experience section. If I do get in, than this change has a purpose and much greater outcome.

Sincerely, I did not expect to score this high on the GMAT and that kinda screw my plans up :) But if I don't get in (I am applying in their last -fourth! - round... I know, I know, but nothing can be done now), I will probably have to wait more than one or two years in order to get a solid work experience. And then, THEN...

Thank you all again. Your insight is very helpful.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Send PM
Dominic, everyone has different perspective and expectations. I applaud your effort in trying to reach a goal; some peole that I know are just getting into college to finish their undergrads in their mid-20's. We are a special breed and everyday I'm thankful for the opportunities presented to me. Sure, I worked hard at it, but I also feel very lucky. I truly wish you all the best with your application to UW and honestly, I hope you get in so you never have to go through this long, MBA application process ever again.
GMAT Club Bot