Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please review my profile!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please review my profile!! [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 00:57
Indian/27/M
GMAT: 680 (Q:49, V:34) AWA: 5.0
Education:
BE(Computer sci.): 66% from a very Good Indian Univ.
MS(Computer sci.): 3.6 GPA from an average US school (U of Massachusetts Dartmouth)
Exp: 3 yrs {1 yr at a moderate sized company in US, 1 yr (in a TOP IB bank) (worked as consultant(program analyst) for it's investment banking platform) in US, 1 yr (in one of "Big 4") (working as consultant for company projects in manufacturing, retail, telecom sectors) in India}.

Also suggest what career paths I can choose from here, including going into a slightly different domain than technology, like finance or marketing etc. A guy that I know tells me applying to schools with strong consulting placement (like tuck) (and simon) will probably be best for me. However I don't like to relocate too often, I do like to travel but for shorter durations like a few days at max. So where can I fit myself.
Please share your views.

Thanks,
Abhe
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my profile!! [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 11:35
The type of schools that you have a realistic shot in is probably in the range between top 15 to top 30. If anything, retake your GMAT and get 700 or above for a good shot at top b-schools in the nation. It's also at these top schools that global firms (i.e. goldman from banking, mckinsey from consulting) recruit heavily at.

In terms of career, I don't think it's right for anyone to tell you what you're suitable for. I think you should go out (or go online) and explore the different options for you. Do you have a knack for fashion? Do you enjoy watching sports and analyzing scores? Do you like to sit in a cubical all day for 10 hours a day? These are all the things that may help you figure out what you'd want to do. Consulting is a great career, however, many people won't and can't stand the long hours of traveling around away from family. You'll have to make sacrifices, that's for, but that's also why everyone understands why he/she's going for this degree called MBA.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please review my profile!! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 01:14
Thanks for your response!
I definitely agree that with my current score I don't have a good shot at the top B schools. And I sort of had that in my mind after receiving my GMAT score, honestly I think I can do much better in GMAT than this. I was not totally focussed on 700+ target and was preparing mostly for getting an idea and feel of exam. I think with few months of rigorous preparation I can easily manage 730+. But for that I will have to drop my chances of applying this year and do my applications next year. I am desperate to get into a top notch B schools preferably HBS. Do you think I will have a good shot if I am able to accomplish this better GMAT score with my current profile plus 1 yr exp (2 yr by the time classes start) and hopefully some more extracurriculars. Hope my age won't be a problem, as I will be 28 during applications and 29 for Fall '2013 semester.
Thanks
Re: Please review my profile!!   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2011, 01:14