Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please review my profile!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Please review my profile! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 08:54
Hi (and a big thanks in advance to all who chime in)!

For starters, here is my background:

3.55 GPA in Electrical Engineering at a Public Ivy
2 years at an engineering consulting firm designing all manner of projects for water treatment facilities
3.3 GPA at a top 100 law school, cum laude honors
Going on 3 years full time as an associate at an Am Law 100 law firm (also worked ~30 hrs/wk my third year of law school)

GMAT 730

More specifically, I am currently a patent attorney working both in patent prosecution and patent litigation, but I don't think that long term this is the work for me. One aspect that I do enjoy in my job is working with start-ups and being involved with business development. As such, I am considering getting an MBA so that I can work with start-ups in a different context, specifically Venture Capital.

To be brief, I've heard that having a law degree can often be detrimental, so I do have some concerns there. I also don't have a ton of extra-curriculars, but I work quite a bit (80 hours a week) so I think I can mitigate some of the damage there. Finally, I am currently 29 and wouldn't be applying until well after my 30th birthday (doh).

As for schools, I would prefer to go to a top 10 school, and in my dreams HBS/Stanford/Columbia...but I'd rather be realistic.

Thoughts?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Please review my profile! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 05:42
Apart from your age, the rest of your profile looks decent. 730 on the GMAT with an undergraduate and graduate GPA of 3.55 and 3.3 respectively can give you a good shot at your target schools. I disagree that a law degree can be detrimental. But like every other applicant, you need to convince the adcoms and justify your reason for doing an mba. My guess is, in your work experience of 5 years you must have held a few leadership roles. Extra-curriculars form a very important part of your application and cannot be neglected. For the next year, try to strengthen your profile. Work a little on your extra-curriculars. Make sure you apply in R1, whenever you apply. Try to connect with some alumni of top business schools who have been in a similar situation as yours.Download this free ebook on how to get into a top business school at : http://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to- ... -ebook.php

Good Luck!
http://www.interviewbay.com
Re: Please review my profile!   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2014, 05:42