Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please review my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please review my profile [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 18:50
Thanks

Last edited by NortheasternAlum on 22 Mar 2009, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Please review my profile [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 18:57
NortheasternAlum wrote:
Hi all i am 28 (Asian) and plan on applying for bschool next year.
My stats:
Undergrad: Northeastern University
GPA: 2.9 major Finance/Economics Upward Trend
Built a alternate transcript with math and english courses from columbia
and accounting courses from NYU Got A's in all classes.
Passed all levels of the CFA and passed all levels of CPA.
W/E: Three years of operations at top BB (GS/MS) 1.5 years of internship experience at BB and mutual fund firm.
EC: Started fraternity At undegrad and involved in various NGO's Spent a significant amount of time counseling juvenile students.
GMAT:700

What are my chances for the M7? Wharton is my top choice. Future goals is to get into sustainable investing. Investment banking first to acquire relevant skills. Thanks in advance for your help.

To be honest, Wharton is probably going to be tough. They are very stats and pedigree focused -- they look for top undergrads and the high GMAT/GPA combination. It's worth a shot, as is everything in life, but it won't be easy.

Columbia ED, Kellogg, or Chicago would probably be more doable (but you'd need stellar execution on the app). I also think you'd be competitive at Duke/Ross/Darden/Cornell.

A lot of this is going to come down to how compelling the essays and recommendations are. Have you been promoted in Ops? Do you have supervisory experience? These would both be things to highlight and talk about.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please review my profile [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 19:06
Thanks for the quick response. Wharton is really my number 1 and i'm curious to see if there is anything else i can do to gain some leverage. Should i retake the GMAT's?? i only took them once.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Please review my profile [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 20:23
To be honest, it's never good to be so squarely focused on one school. Everyone should apply to a good range of them (1-2 stretches, 3-4 targets, 1-2 safeties). The admissions process is so painstakingly random (take a look at this board for some examples). Definitely go ahead and apply to Wharton if it's your dream school... but make sure you apply to a nice broad portfolio of other schools as well.

Increasing your GMAT to the 760+ range (99th percentile) would definitely put a notch under your belt. Improving it to 720-730 would probably not be very helpful. Overall, the GMAT will not be what makes or breaks you at Wharton -- it's the work experience, pedigree, extracurriculars, and overall profile.

I would recommend that you post to some of the admissions consultants threads and see what they think. You may also want to schedule a free consultation with some of them. I am no expert.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my profile [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 14:44
Some people may disagree but I think that if you can raise your GMAT to the 730-750 type range it would be very helpful. You have already done a lot of good work to mitigate your low gpa by building an alternate transcript and passing the CFA and CPA exams. I think if you boost that GMAT a bit you should be fine on the academic portion of your app (it won't help you but it shouldn't really hurt you). It sounds like you might have some interesting stories to tell with your NGO experience - are you still involved there? do you have leadership responsibilities? - and your counseling work. You also have interesting long term career goals and a logical short term goal that should help you get there. It ties well with your background and I think you have a good story to tell as far as your current background---->MBA----->IB------>sustainable investing. Hopefully you have some good work stories to tell - leadership, impact, etc - and you plan to work very hard on your applications putting together a compelling story. If you do all this, I see no reason that you wouldn't be competitive at the M7, outside of H/S. Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please review my profile [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 18:13
Thanks for your help.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my profile [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 09:22
I agree with what others have said. I've also heard that Wharton puts emphasis on the 80/80 split on the GMAT so, if you're from the 90/70 camp, re-taking the GMAT might be a good idea. With the CFA and CPA, no one is going to question your quant abilities.

Your profile looks good and, because the process is so random, I think it will come down to your essays/application. I think you've got good experience, etc....you just need to "tell your story" like IHTG said.

If you're not a good/creative writer....I differ from a lot of people on this board in that I would recommend you use an admissions consultant.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please review my profile [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 12:34
Thanks, scheduled to take the GMAT's in three weeks. I've gotten perspective from current/alums from both Wharton and CBS and most have encouraged me to retake the GMAT's. Thanks again for all your help most appreciated.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my profile [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 09:46
NortheasternAlum wrote:
Thanks, scheduled to take the GMAT's in three weeks. I've gotten perspective from current/alums from both Wharton and CBS and most have encouraged me to retake the GMAT's. Thanks again for all your help most appreciated.

Good luck. Just know that you don't HAVE to get a better score to get into your target schools. Just relax and go in with confidence knowing that you've already done really well.
Re: Please review my profile   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2009, 09:46