Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 03:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please review my profile - Non-traditional student

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please review my profile - Non-traditional student [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 09:21
29/M Caucasian
GMAT 680 - 47Q/35V - 6 AWA
Top 25 public school, BA Finance - 3.7 GPA

Went to work out of high school (As a side note, I dropped out of high school my Jr year and got a diploma when I was 19.)

-2 years pharma manufacturing. Promoted twice in two years.
-1.5 yrs as an engineer in automotive. Promoted once.
- Finally (prior to college graduation), 2 years in retail management

During these first few jobs I went to college. 85% was full-time for both. I used to drive the hour and a half to college Monday morning, took 5-6 classes a semester, tutored math at night, drove home on Thursday nights to the wife and kids and worked full-time Thursday night thru Sunday. Would have done better than a 3.7, but cash was tight for the family so I didn't buy books for a lot of classes which made them a bit more challenging.

Post college:
-1.5yrs investment banking at a mid-market bank
-1.5 yrs equity research at a top bank. Worked under a #1 ranked consumer analyst. Was promoted to the post-mba analyst position after 4 months.
-1 year director of investor relations at a global pharma company (youngest person at this level).

I have many significant accomplishments at all of my jobs. Following a few years in healthcare I will jump over to be a buy-side analyst at a mid to large sized fund.

My question is simple, could I get into any top 10 programs? I am applying to a couple part-time programs as I am trying to be realistic. Saw this opportunity to confirm that part-time is the way to go and that full-time would be a 50/50 bet at best.

Thanks for the feedback!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my profile - Non-traditional student [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 22:41
Expert's post
denali2m4 wrote:
29/M Caucasian
GMAT 680 - 47Q/35V - 6 AWA
Top 25 public school, BA Finance - 3.7 GPA

Went to work out of high school (As a side note, I dropped out of high school my Jr year and got a diploma when I was 19.)

-2 years pharma manufacturing. Promoted twice in two years.
-1.5 yrs as an engineer in automotive. Promoted once.
- Finally (prior to college graduation), 2 years in retail management

During these first few jobs I went to college. 85% was full-time for both. I used to drive the hour and a half to college Monday morning, took 5-6 classes a semester, tutored math at night, drove home on Thursday nights to the wife and kids and worked full-time Thursday night thru Sunday. Would have done better than a 3.7, but cash was tight for the family so I didn't buy books for a lot of classes which made them a bit more challenging.

Post college:
-1.5yrs investment banking at a mid-market bank
-1.5 yrs equity research at a top bank. Worked under a #1 ranked consumer analyst. Was promoted to the post-mba analyst position after 4 months.
-1 year director of investor relations at a global pharma company (youngest person at this level).

I have many significant accomplishments at all of my jobs. Following a few years in healthcare I will jump over to be a buy-side analyst at a mid to large sized fund.

My question is simple, could I get into any top 10 programs? I am applying to a couple part-time programs as I am trying to be realistic. Saw this opportunity to confirm that part-time is the way to go and that full-time would be a 50/50 bet at best.

Thanks for the feedback!

You have a chance in the top 10. Your GMAT is a little low, but you have quite a story, good grades, and a strong record of post-college achievement. Your chances would be strong in the top 20; weaker, but still possible in the top 10.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog