Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Review my Profile - What's realistic for me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Please Review my Profile - What's realistic for me? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 14:44
Hi All,

This is a little bit of a future thing. I will not be applying for b-school for another 2-3 years, but I'm having to make some personal and career decisions now and I would like to know where I have a shot of getting into. My aim is to get into a top US, 2 year MBA program. I want to know how realistic this is.

1) Basic demographic info: 22 (25 at planned application date), male, Canadian citizen (ethnically Asian)

2) Educational Background: B.Com in Finance (Canadian school), 3.4GPA (worried about this...), GMAT750 (Q50, V41, AWA6 - first attempt)

3) Work experience: Business Analyst at well known mangement consulting firm (1 year presently, 3-4 by planned application date). Other internship roles across real estate, IT and transporation/logistics (do these matter?)

4) Extracurriculars:
During school: President of undergraduate business student government, several other student government roles. Dean's advisory committee member. Undergraduate programs committee member - had a major role in re-writing part of the undergraduate business curriculum at my school. Won a graduating award for leadership.
Post-graduation: Sit on my firm's recruiting team for my school. Some work with organizing charity initiatives at my home office. Founder and President of a mentorship program for Canadian undergraduates seeking careers in Investment Banking or Consulting.

5) Short/Long term goals: Strong preference for US schools. Post-MBA I would like to transition into PE or some kind of asset management - this is all subject to change. I may or may not return to my firm for 2 more years, depending on if I go as a sponsored student. I don't see myself settling outside of North America. 80% chance that I will want to return to Canada.

6) Schools: Have not considered any in great detail... suggestions appreciated. Basically looking at top 10 US programs.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Review my Profile - What's realistic for me? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 23:49
far257,

You have everything going for you and there is nothing here that suggest why you can not target the top business schools in the US. Yes, you GPA is a little low but your GMAT score, field of study and work experience should help you offset it to a large extent. The top priority for you at this point should be to continue staying involved in extracurriculars and get some great leadership stories there as well as at work.

At the end of the day, it will come down to how well you can put together different parts of your profile into few pages ! Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Review my Profile - What's realistic for me? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 12:29
Thank you bizschoolprep. Do you think I have a shot at programs such as Harvard or Stanford?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Review my Profile - What's realistic for me? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 00:33
far257 wrote:
Thank you bizschoolprep. Do you think I have a shot at programs such as Harvard or Stanford?

Yeah. But keep in mind that probably more than 50% of the applicants are "qualified" to get into HBS and Stanford but only few of these actually get accepted. Why? Well, all depends on how well you put together the right stuff in your application.
Re: Please Review my Profile - What's realistic for me?   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2011, 00:33