Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 18:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please review my profile, what should I improve?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Please review my profile, what should I improve? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 07:32
Hi,
I'm new in this PhD forum. I'm thinking in applying to a Finance or Business Economics doctoral program in a top US school . I know that these programs are very competitive, so I would like your suggestions abot what strategy I should follow to improve my profile.
This is my profile:
- I'm from Peru, male, 30 years old.
- Bachelor in Business Economics Sciences (2003)
- First in the academic ranking of my class. There is not GPA in my country, but I suppose it is 4.0 based on the fact I was the first in the ranking.
- To get my Licenciatura (a special degree in my country) I made a research about how business networks improve the performance of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs). This research received the highest grade: recommendation for publication (even it appeared in a local newspaper!)
- Also, I was in the top positions of other academic programs (specialization courses).
- Work experience:
a) Research assistant in one of the most important think tanks in South America. (1 year)
b) Executive in an important bank of my country. (3 years)
c) Officer of the government (4 years). There, I have designed financial programs to facilitate the access to credits for SMEs.
- Teacher assistant of my boss, who teaches in diverse schools in my country.
- Fields of interest: a) Interactions between the private sector and government: best practices, b) Financial programs and regulations to facilitate the access to credist for poor people.
GMAT: I will take it on July. I'm studying so hard; my objective is 730+.

Next steps:
- Should I apply to a master degree program before applying to a doctoral program? I was thinking in a MBA, a Master in Finance (MIT or Princeton), or Master in Development (Oxford).

Please, what additional steps should I follow?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my profile, what should I improve? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You sound like you are well on your way to a successful academic career. You might consider applying directly to the PhD programs, since it is not required to have a Master's degree, although you will likely earn one in the process. If you can achieve the 730 you seek on the GMAT you will be yet one step closer. As you likely know, one of the keys to being accepted at a top PhD program is whether or not your area of research interest resonates with the faculty. Do some more homework on your target schools, particularly the faculty behind the research and see if you come accross anyone who has similar interests. You could contact faculty in your field of interest and conduct exploratory interviews either on the phone or in person to see if there might be a match of the minds, so to speak. It would be better to go to a school where your interests are aligned, but might be lower on the prestige scale rather than to go to a better named school where your academic path is misaligned with their focus.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my profile, what should I improve? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 09:24
Thanks Bryant!, Kudos for you 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2052 [0], given: 677

Re: Please review my profile, what should I improve? [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 14:11
Expert's post
i agree with you bryantmichaels :)

What do you think about GWU BS and in particular its PhD in business admistration ???

I threw the eye at the management department and seems good, instead the department of Information Systems & Technology Management not so good.......

do you have some information ???

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please review my profile, what should I improve? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 12:34
For PhD GMAT, Research and Fit are the most important. If we take your research experience enough for elite schools (which I'm a little doubtful since you said "recommendation for publication" not publication), you just need to focus on GMAT and finding a fit school I think

GD

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Re: Please review my profile, what should I improve?   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2011, 12:34