Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Shed Some Light on School/Program Choices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Please Shed Some Light on School/Program Choices [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 11:24
Thank you for taking time to evaluate my profile. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

F/26/Chinese

GMAT: 750 (Q50Q, V41, AWA 5.0)
GPA: Undergrad 3.67 (B.E In Computer Engineering)
Grad: 3.9 ( M.S Applied Mathematics) Obtained concurrently with UG degree

Experience:Engineer (4 years: 2 years Radio Frequency, 2 year Equipment)

Honors: Tau Beta Pi; Eta Kappa Nu; Pi Theta Kappa. National Honor Society; Dean's List (4 years); National Science Foundation Recipient; Student Employee of the Year

Activities:
P90X; Scrabble; Billiards; Events planning; Monster Diversity Leadership program; SSS Leadership Fellow; Compassion International; Mercy Corps; United way of Caring

So far, I have looked two schools:
NW (the JD/MBA joint program)
NYU

I am also interested in:
Stanford
MIT
Harvard

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Please Shed Some Light on School/Program Choices [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 12:50
It really comes down to ONE thing:

Can you convince the adcoms that you are as good (or even better) with people as you are with numbers?

It's clear that you're a near math genius. But beyond a certain level of math skills, it's irrelevant whether you're "reasonably good" at math or "exceptional" at math. Because in business, quantitative skills are valuable only up to a certain threshhold (and that threshhold is significantly lower than what most engineering types have). Ultimately, if you're going to be managing a business large or small, it's about your effectiveness with people and your ability to communicate a compelling narrative about what the company is all about that people can rally around.

If you can show that you have that potential through the extracurriculars and work experience, then you certainly have a shot at all the schools you mentioned. If you don't, then you'll have a tough time getting into the top 16 schools.

And whether you are as good or better with people as you are with numbers is obviously subjective - it's not something that one can quantitatively measure, but is something that an adcom will make a judgment call on based on what you've written, what your rec letters write, and your interviews.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please Shed Some Light on School/Program Choices [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 13:12
Thanks, Alex. I will take your advise and emphasis on my people skills.

The truth is that I am probably too social to be an engineer, at least judging form the work experience I had so far. Maybe I need to convince the committee that my ability to influence people and to make friends will eventually translate into effectiveness in Business.

The biggest challenge I had so far at work is not how well I deliver results but the fact that I do not fit in the traditional engineer hat. I can strike a conversation with just about anyone. Perception is that if you are an "I" and "A" type engineer, you are not as technical or do not work as hard as the other ones who usually are quiet. It is also one of the top reasons why I wanted to go to B-school - to leap to a role where both my abilities and my skills are appreciated and exemplified.

AlexMBAApply wrote:
It really comes down to ONE thing:

Can you convince the adcoms that you are as good (or even better) with people as you are with numbers?

It's clear that you're a near math genius. But beyond a certain level of math skills, it's irrelevant whether you're "reasonably good" at math or "exceptional" at math. Because in business, quantitative skills are valuable only up to a certain threshhold (and that threshhold is significantly lower than what most engineering types have). Ultimately, if you're going to be managing a business large or small, it's about your effectiveness with people and your ability to communicate a compelling narrative about what the company is all about that people can rally around.

If you can show that you have that potential through the extracurriculars and work experience, then you certainly have a shot at all the schools you mentioned. If you don't, then you'll have a tough time getting into the top 16 schools.

And whether you are as good or better with people as you are with numbers is obviously subjective - it's not something that one can quantitatively measure, but is something that an adcom will make a judgment call on based on what you've written, what your rec letters write, and your interviews.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Please Shed Some Light on School/Program Choices [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 23:10
P90X, Scrabble, Billiards?

Forgive me for asking, but how can you talk about this on your MBA App? And are they on your resume?
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please Shed Some Light on School/Program Choices [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 23:27
NYCAnalyst wrote:
P90X, Scrabble, Billiards?

Forgive me for asking, but how can you talk about this on your MBA App? And are they on your resume?

I don't see why they cannot be on the resume. Most schools are looking for candidates that are well-rounded with diversified interests.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Re: Please Shed Some Light on School/Program Choices   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2009, 23:27