Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 16:40
First I will say I am new to this website and I am excited that I found it. I can't wait to get to know the members here.

I am aiming to have a success story like Hemantsood (570-->760). Here is the deal I recently gave the GMAT on 6/23/2010 I scored a mere 600 (V34 Q: 39) I was devastated I didn't even want to hear the words GMAT ever again let alone retake it! I plan to apply for a PhD in Business (Marketing-Consumer Behavior emphasis). But after extensive research on Marketing PhD programs I found that in order to get into any of the programs I was most interested in I must retake the dreaded GMAT.

So here I am pushing 3 months later (I have not even looked at a GMAT book since then) and I need to retake it. I feel that I am starting over. Here is a little overview of my first attempt: I took a Kaplan course in classroom and I attended every class and paid close attention. However for the first 3 weeks of the 9 week course my online material was not available (apparently system glitch) so I was behind with taking the CATs as well as important study material I was missing although I did eventually catch up I don't feel that it was as effective as it could have been... I must admit I did not put enough time in self study outside of class until about 3 weeks before the test (By then it was too late) So there are a ton of things I feel I could have done differently. I cannot afford to retake the class (they do offer a free retake but within 30 days of the class ending so I am too late.)

So this time I purchased the 8 MGMAT strategy guides and I already have the OG 12. I have exactly 11 weeks before I have to take the test (Duke is one of the schools I am applying to and their deadline is Dec. 8 which is my earliest deadline, so I want to take it by Dec. 1-the PhD coordinator confirmed that it is ok if my official score is not there by the deadline.) I plan to go through one MGMAT strategy book a week (order: Number properties, Word translation, geometry, Equalities inequalities & VICs, Fractions decimals & percents, reading comprehension, critical reasoning, and lastly sentence correction). I will take a practice CAT at the end of each week (6 come with the guides, 2 GMATPrep, and some from GMAT Club) in the last three weeks I will review math one week, then verbal the next week, and in the last week I will review strategy. I also plan on using an error log to efficiently target my problem areas. I am aiming for somewhere in the 700's preferably 730 or 740 or 750 I just want to be competitive. :)

So my questions are:
1) Is this a good study plan?
2) Is the order I plan to use the MGMAT books in a good order, is that strategy even using them properly?
3) With the period of time I have how many hours should I study per day (I have a very flexible schedule)?
4) Is this goal realistic (600-730 in 11 weeks)?
5) Any suggestions, advice, comments, words of inspiration etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any information you can offer.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 17:47
This post received
KUDOS
PurposeDriven wrote:

So my questions are:
1) Is this a good study plan? yes. it seems solid. figure out your weak spots
2) Is the order I plan to use the MGMAT books in a good order, is that strategy even using them properly? I would figure out your weak spots then devote time accordingly. if you weak at SC maybe study that first and use more time on it.
3) With the period of time I have how many hours should I study per day (I have a very flexible schedule)? depends by person really... you dont want to overload because you might end up forgetting info. I would do maybe 3-4 hours max - always do the problems that follows.
4) Is this goal realistic (600-730 in 11 weeks)? yes i think so if you got the devotion
5) Any suggestions, advice, comments, words of inspiration etc. are greatly appreciated. seems you are solid. error logs is key here

good luck and kudos!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 18:15
This post received
KUDOS
Purpose, I am glad you gave yourself ample time to study. I think that is a great comprehensive study plan. Make sure you are using an error log to revisit your mistakes. I would aim for 4-5 hours everyday. I wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,
Dawg

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Retired Moderator
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 02:33
Welcome to gmatclub PurposeDriven!

I think with your plan you can achieve your goal. Good luck and keep us update about your journey!

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 482 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 02:43
Hi purpose, its great to see a moitvated intial post from your side. In my opinion your plan is quite good & with this plan you can definitely reach your dream score.

My input in red below. Also do go through this link

should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

PurposeDriven wrote:
First I will say I am new to this website and I am excited that I found it. I can't wait to get to know the members here.

I am aiming to have a success story like Hemantsood (570-->760). Here is the deal I recently gave the GMAT on 6/23/2010 I scored a mere 600 (V34 Q: 39) I was devastated I didn't even want to hear the words GMAT ever again let alone retake it! I plan to apply for a PhD in Business (Marketing-Consumer Behavior emphasis). But after extensive research on Marketing PhD programs I found that in order to get into any of the programs I was most interested in I must retake the dreaded GMAT.

So here I am pushing 3 months later (I have not even looked at a GMAT book since then) and I need to retake it. I feel that I am starting over. Here is a little overview of my first attempt: I took a Kaplan course in classroom and I attended every class and paid close attention. However for the first 3 weeks of the 9 week course my online material was not available (apparently system glitch) so I was behind with taking the CATs as well as important study material I was missing although I did eventually catch up I don't feel that it was as effective as it could have been... I must admit I did not put enough time in self study outside of class until about 3 weeks before the test (By then it was too late) So there are a ton of things I feel I could have done differently. I cannot afford to retake the class (they do offer a free retake but within 30 days of the class ending so I am too late.)

So this time I purchased the 8 MGMAT strategy guides and I already have the OG 12. I have exactly 11 weeks before I have to take the test (Duke is one of the schools I am applying to and their deadline is Dec. 8 which is my earliest deadline, so I want to take it by Dec. 1-the PhD coordinator confirmed that it is ok if my official score is not there by the deadline.) I plan to go through one MGMAT strategy book a week (order: Number properties, Word translation, geometry, Equalities inequalities & VICs, Fractions decimals & percents, reading comprehension, critical reasoning, and lastly sentence correction). I will take a practice CAT at the end of each week (6 come with the guides, 2 GMATPrep, and some from GMAT Club) in the last three weeks I will review math one week, then verbal the next week, and in the last week I will review strategy. I also plan on using an error log to efficiently target my problem areas. I am aiming for somewhere in the 700's preferably 730 or 740 or 750 I just want to be competitive. :)

So my questions are:
1) Is this a good study plan?- Quite ok for me.
2) Is the order I plan to use the MGMAT books in a good order, is that strategy even using them properly? - I opted for the order of the books. Keep it simple.
3) With the period of time I have how many hours should I study per day (I have a very flexible schedule)? -depends on your personal schedules but dont be involved so much that your mind start to burn.
4) Is this goal realistic (600-730 in 11 weeks)? Yesss!!!! Very much realistic.
5) Any suggestions, advice, comments, words of inspiration etc. are greatly appreciated. My brother once said, "Before any task, whisper to yourself, I Can, I Will". Same applies to you.

Best of luck & keep us posted.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 06:46
Nice plan ...keep us updated........:D

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1390 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 16:30
I agree with what Hussain says. You just need to stay determined and focused on the task at hand. I'm sure it's achievable. Good luck to you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 02:51
Nice plan. good luck. keep us updated.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Re: Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2010, 02:51