Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please someone help me understand my strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Please someone help me understand my strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 12:48
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Not sure if this is the right group to post my question in.

I have been preparing for GMAT using "Kaplan Premium Online" course and "OG11".
I have studied hard and taken all the workshops in the Kaplan course.
But it is crazy that I have not been able to convince myself to take any of the CATs yet.
I have 8 CATs in Kaplan but I am too scared to take them.
I keep thinking that I am still getting a lot of questions wrong, a lot of topics are hazy to me, if I take a CAT and see a "4xx" pop up, my confidence will nosedive.
My diagnostic was 520. I gave diagnostic after studying hardfor weeks and to see 520 after so much work was apalling.

I am just working harder on OG11 on the DS question since I am the worst in them.
I thought to take GMAT on March first week but seems like that is never going to happen.
Should I register for March week 1 and from now till that day just take back to back CATs?
And if my CATs consistently show poor performance I can cancel the registeration 72hours in advance.
Or should I work harder and schedule in April?

My life has come to a standstill preparing for this exam.... but I am broken that despite my 100% dedication the results are so dis-appointing.
Please help!
Amber
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
This user is a Spammer and was Banned

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please someone help me understand my strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 14:39
Edit: Spam message removed
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9427 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please someone help me understand my strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 17:14
Expert's post
Which diagnostic did you take?

You should only test the portion of the materials that you have covered.
Working on OG 11 won't give you anything, nor will it help to take those 8 CAT's unless you understand why you keep making mistakes how to stop making them.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Please someone help me understand my strategy [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 14:24
Hi.... Thanks for replying.
How do you compare "Kaplan questions" to "MGMAT questions"?
My main issues are in quantitative section.

After reading your reply, I searched online. MGMAT offers 8CATs for only $70. Significantly less than the $1299 I spent on Kaplan. I agree with you, I should extend exam date to April first week and till then take back to back CATs.

My target score is 680. I intend to go to any Texas university preferably UT-Austin. I live in Kansas and going to either of the coasts will put me too far from my husband.

Thanks for replying, I am doing self study at home and its relieving to hear from other people especially when I have nobody around to talk about GMAT or share strategies.

Founder of this forum has established a great resource for aspiring GMAT takers. And everyone else who reach out to other members and discuss/share their issues are simply HELPFUL, HELPFUL HELPFUL!
Thanks, Amber
Intern
Intern

Re: Please someone help me understand my strategy [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 14:29
bb wrote:

Working on OG 11 won't give you anything, nor will it help to take those 8 CAT's unless you understand why you keep making mistakes how to stop making them.

Hi bb,

I took "Kaplan Diagnostic Test", the one thats provided in Kaplan Premium Online Course.
I have done enough reading and now I plan to take back to back CATs from Kaplan till my exam so I can reflect on my timing and mistakes made.
How do you compare "Kaplan Quant" to "MGMAT Quant"?
Since I have joned this forum I have read a lot of good reviews about the latter and I am thinking of getting MGMAT CATs in addition to the Kaplan CATs.
Thanks. Amber
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9427 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please someone help me understand my strategy [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 01:25
Expert's post
ambera wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

I took "Kaplan Diagnostic Test", the one thats provided in Kaplan Premium Online Course.
I have done enough reading and now I plan to take back to back CATs from Kaplan till my exam so I can reflect on my timing and mistakes made.
How do you compare "Kaplan Quant" to "MGMAT Quant"?
Since I have joned this forum I have read a lot of good reviews about the latter and I am thinking of getting MGMAT CATs in addition to the Kaplan CATs.
Thanks. Amber

MGMAT guides are the best books/self prep course available out there. I doubt anyone will argue. Kaplan books are next (few will argue with this as well though some books by other test prep in Quant and verbal stand out, none are complete).

So if you have time, definitely get the MGMAT CATs or MGMAT Guides. both are good.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Please someone help me understand my strategy   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2010, 01:25