Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please someone tell me application process for US B-Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Please someone tell me application process for US B-Schools [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 20:50
Hello,

Please tell me the application process for US B-Schools, i am yet preparing for GMAT but i want to have an overview of what i have to do next.

Thanks in Advance
Akash
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 6

Re: Please someone tell me application process for US B-Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
akashhongal wrote:
Hello,

Please tell me the application process for US B-Schools, i am yet preparing for GMAT but i want to have an overview of what i have to do next.

Thanks in Advance
Akash

Hi! Here are keypoints you need to know while applying to US b school^

Business School Admissions- When to Apply to Business School

Begin by applying to your school of choice as soon as possible. Most business schools have either two or three application deadlines/rounds. Applying in the first round will increase your chances of acceptance, because there are more empty spots available. By the time the third round has commenced, many students have already been accepted, which lessens your chances considerably.

Business School Admissions- Your GPA

An applicant's GPA can be evaluated many different ways depending upon the school. The median GPA for applicants admitted into top business schools is approximately 3.5. If your GPA is less than that, it doesn't mean that you will be excluded from the school of your choice, it simply means that the rest of your application should make up for it. Once you get the grades, you're stuck with them. Make the best of what you have.

Business School Admissions- Your GMAT Score

The GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) is a standardized exam used by business schools to assess how well students are likely to do in an MBA Program. The GMAT exam measures basic verbal, mathematical, and analytical writing skills. GMAT total scores range from 200 to 800. The majority of test takers score between 400 and 600. The median score for applicants admitted into top schools is 700.

Business School Admissions- Recommendation Letters

Recommendation letters are often used by students during college admissions or by jobseekers seeking employment. Many colleges prefer that applicants supply at least two letters of recommendation during the admissions process. If you want to truly enhance your application, recommendation letters should be written by someone who knows you very well.

Business School Admissions- Essays

When applying to business school, you may write as many as seven application essays ranging between 2,000 and 4,000 words. Essays are your opportunity to convince your school of choice that you are the right pick for their program.

Writing an application essay is no easy feat. It takes time and hard work, but it’s well worth the effort. A good essay will compliment your application and set you apart from other applicants.

Hope it was useful
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Please someone tell me application process for US B-Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 07:50
Izvos wrote:
akashhongal wrote:
Hello,

Thanks in Advance
Akash

Hi! Here are keypoints you need to know while applying to US b school^

Business School Admissions- When to Apply to Business School

Begin by applying to your school of choice as soon as possible. Most business schools have either two or three application deadlines/rounds. Applying in the first round will increase your chances of acceptance, because there are more empty spots available. By the time the third round has commenced, many students have already been accepted, which lessens your chances considerably.

Business School Admissions- Recommendation Letters

Recommendation letters are often used by students during college admissions or by jobseekers seeking employment. Many colleges prefer that applicants supply at least two letters of recommendation during the admissions process. If you want to truly enhance your application, recommendation letters should be written by someone who knows you very well.

When to apply:
While I agree that chance of admission greatly decreases in the last round, I would say that the best time for a person to apply is when they are READY. Throwing together a haphazard application just to apply in Round 1 completely negates the advantages of applying early. If there is a specific work assignment, extra-curricular activity, or event that will greatly add to your application wait for it to happen so you can leverage it in the essays/resume/etc. Maybe you might need to retake the GMAT. My point is, pushing your application to Round 2 in order to present a stronger candidacy is far better than just trying to get it in early.

Letters of Recommendation:
I want to add to this that you must also make sure your recommenders are enhancing the information that you have already presented. Do more than just ask for recommendations, guide your recommenders toward the picture you want painted. Make their lives easier by recapping specific examples of ways in which they've seen you demonstrate the skills you want them to highlight in their letters. Maybe you have 3 traits you want your recommendations to show. Walk your recommenders through your application and use them to augment and reinforce the things that you have already communicated through your essays, resume, and app.

Okay, hope this helps.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Re: Please someone tell me application process for US B-Schools   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2011, 07:50