Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please spare a minute , I need your expert advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 173

Kudos [?]: 878 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Please spare a minute , I need your expert advice [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 23:36
Hello everyone,

I would like to get some expert advice from you.Please evaluate my profile and letme know my chances.

I have good academic records at school with 2nd place in 10th , and average records at my college.
I was selected for national level maths Olympiad.
I have done electronics n communications engineering from NIT with 7.53 CGPA which is above 70%.

I m currently working in well known US MNC in AS/400 technology and my domain is insurance.My total exp till now is 1 year 4 months and by the time I will join any B-school it will be around 2-3. I have been at client site for 10 months and have good explanations for clients consultancy as well.
I have done many free lancing projects during college time and coz of that I m getting more projects along with my job,which I m managing properly with my job,Gmat, daily routine.
I can get recommendation letters from my ex-manager/mentors.I got very good feedback from my free lancing projects which I can demonstrate them and personally I feel ,I m good in marketing and dealing with the clients.

My quants is strong, just need brush up and practice.But my english is poor.I also need some advice on that, as time is less and work is more.I need to improve english, and m confused I should start wid Gmat verbal books or any general english book like wordPower made easy or High school grammer by Wren n Martin..

I have dedicated goal on which I think I can stand with full confidence.I m going to start my business just after I repay my Loans and some savings.I have planned that post 4-5 year MBA and if I get good breakthrough I might start early.But m unsure about the way. It doesnt matter to me if i get harvard in us , queens in canada( Just for eg), my only preference is to get good job with decent reputation to start my business, as good reputation of post graduation degree can get good investors.

My another biggest concern is finances , I don't want to spend much on fees as it will delay my goal.
What should I do to improve so that I can avail good scholarships??

I m aiming at insead , duke , yale , etc in us .... ivey , rotman , queen , Schulinch in canada.

Please b patient while reading such a lengthly post lol. All comments are welcome.

Thanks n Regards

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Please spare a minute , I need your expert advice [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 13:26
To be blunt, you say your English is poor, yet you are hoping for schools to give you scholarships?

I hate to break it to you, but you will have enough trouble getting into those schools you listed, let alone getting money from them.

The other thing is a common misconception about what an MBA is all about amongst those in technical occupations. An MBA isn't about admitting math geniuses. It's not a continuation of your technical career. What made you a great engineer isn't what makes a great manager or boss. That is what b-schools are looking for - those who have leadership/management potential, and oftentimes that has little to do with your ability to do math - and far more to do with your ability to deal with people (of which communication skills is a huge thing, and if you're applying to schools where the language of instruction is English, you are expected to have a strong command of the language).

In any case, if your English is indeed poor, you need to do far more than just read up on grammar books. Language isn't a "technical skill" like learning algebra or calculus where it's all about spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc. Yes, there's a technical aspect to it, but that's just the beginning - stuff like tone, nuance, attitude, subtext, etc. are subjective aspect of language that you only learn through practical experience and reading a LOT - novels, biographies, etc where you are reading authors who have a command of the language. There isn't a quick fix for this - it'll take years to be honest (and yes, you will see improvements within the first 6-12 months, but such improvements will be smaller than you may expect - it takes patience and time to truly improve your command of a language).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 173

Kudos [?]: 878 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Please spare a minute , I need your expert advice [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 00:46
AlexMBAApply wrote:
To be blunt, you say your English is poor, yet you are hoping for schools to give you scholarships?

I hate to break it to you, but you will have enough trouble getting into those schools you listed, let alone getting money from them.

The other thing is a common misconception about what an MBA is all about amongst those in technical occupations. An MBA isn't about admitting math geniuses. It's not a continuation of your technical career. What made you a great engineer isn't what makes a great manager or boss. That is what b-schools are looking for - those who have leadership/management potential, and oftentimes that has little to do with your ability to do math - and far more to do with your ability to deal with people (of which communication skills is a huge thing, and if you're applying to schools where the language of instruction is English, you are expected to have a strong command of the language).

In any case, if your English is indeed poor, you need to do far more than just read up on grammar books. Language isn't a "technical skill" like learning algebra or calculus where it's all about spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc. Yes, there's a technical aspect to it, but that's just the beginning - stuff like tone, nuance, attitude, subtext, etc. are subjective aspect of language that you only learn through practical experience and reading a LOT - novels, biographies, etc where you are reading authors who have a command of the language. There isn't a quick fix for this - it'll take years to be honest (and yes, you will see improvements within the first 6-12 months, but such improvements will be smaller than you may expect - it takes patience and time to truly improve your command of a language).

Thanks a lot for your honest comments , actually MBA is imp for me because I want to run my own business.I have a lot of plans to start with , but MBA can accelerate me towards the goal,thats the only reason m looking into that.I graduated in English medium , but I think its poorer in comparison to level abroad thats the only reason I don't want to leave any loop hole in my goal.I m ready to work hard as MBA is the only solution for me.Just need a good plan to start with.

Thanks again for your time.Have a great day.

Regards

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: Please spare a minute , I need your expert advice   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2009, 00:46