Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please suggest me how to improve my verbal score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Please suggest me how to improve my verbal score [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 21:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Everyone,

Last week, I took my GMAT exam and scored only 610 (Q48 V25). I don't know what happened to me on the test day. Usually, I don't spend too much time on SC questions but on the test day I spent on an average more than 2 mins on one SC question, and that's why towards end of the verbal section I was short of the time. However, I know that verbal is not my strength and that to score more than 35 in verbal is going to be a difficult task for me.
I have two queries. I would be grateful if someone can help me in this regard.

1. How to make verbal my strength - so that I can score >35 in verbal.
2. What has to be done if I want to score 51 in quant.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't give up..You cannot fail!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 29

Re: Please suggest me how to improve my verbal score [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
For 51 in quant, I would suggest Jeff Sackmann's 1,800 questions and GMAT Club tests. I have not tried either (will in a few months when I start studying to retake the GMAT), but both get excellent reviews. Even if you do not reach 51, a slight bump in verbal will send you over the 700 mark.

To do well on verbal, one must master SC. I would purchase the SC book from MGMAT. That is the best book for SC, whether you are a native speaker or not. For CR, take a look at PowerScore CR. As for RC, I would suggest to start reading fiction books. Have a look at this thread. I would also suggest working on OG problems from OG 13 and the blue OG verbal book.

If you can only get one book, get the SC book from MGMAT. Good luck!

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Please suggest me how to improve my verbal score [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 23:10
570-to-710-q50-v35-seven-do-nots-of-gmat-144157.html

There is no shortcut to verbal improvement. Lots of practice in CR and RC. Reading a few books should help you get in the zone.
Review SC problems from OG solution. MGMAT SC is pretty useful.

GMAT Club tests could help you push to Q50.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: Please suggest me how to improve my verbal score   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 23:10