Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:01

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please suggest on how to improve quant score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 04:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I've taken the GMAT thrice. and my quant score is hurting me. It has been in the 72-75 percentile (46, 44, 45) and I've tried all the MGMAT books, OG, OG-Review, Kaplan. Any help is appreciated.

But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.
http://aimingformba.blogspot.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 05:19
Hi
Since your score is already in the above average range, I think you are clear with the fundamentals. You must also be comfortable with the timing.

Now to boost your score over the +49 range, I recommend practicing on questions that are above the GMAT level (but not too high)
Two sources of such questions are:
1. GMAT Club Tests
2. Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Kumar [Buy this if you're in India otherwise go for Jeff Sackman's book... I haven't tried it... but people say it's good! It's also frickin' expensive :| ]

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.flipkart.com/quantum-cat-sar ... 4febfa9b70

Here's the link to Quantum CAT... Once you get it, I'll tell you how to make the most of it! I'm following the same book and I'm very confident that it will boost my score to +50 level ;)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 05:44
Thanks Entwistle!! I ordered the book right away.

But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 07:28
Can you please suggest some good books for Verbal Section also? I mean apart from MGMAT guides and PowerScore guides.. I need those urgently, and also can you please suggest me how to improve my verbal score? Thank you.

GMAT ToolKit For Android Phones https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nkoventuresllc.gmattoolkit&fl=events

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 10:33
Those are the only two books I used for verbal. U might want to try the Aristotle RC-99 and SC grail. Which one is pulling u down in verbal? RC, SC or CR

Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 11:07
Gosh, where was this post 5 weeks ago!!!! <3 still deciding if I should retake, i kind of want to just to get a 700 :)

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 23:17
One more vote for the GMAT Club Tests!
You may get these for your kindle:
amazon dot com /GMAT-Club/e/B0048PPF3U
I certainly plan to do this.
Good luck, aiming4mba!

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

When you give kudos, you do not lose your previously earned kudos, you rather contribute to the forum's culture of appreciation.

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 01:12
aiming4mba wrote:
Those are the only two books I used for verbal. U might want to try the Aristotle RC-99 and SC grail. Which one is pulling u down in verbal? RC, SC or CR

RC is main culprit for my poor score on Verbal.

GMAT ToolKit For Android Phones https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nkoventuresllc.gmattoolkit&fl=events

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 22:45
Work out the passages in OG-12 and OG Review, move on to Aristotle RC-99 and then do LSAT RC. I think this should be enough to improve your RC score. It is a matter of practice, once you practice more, you will see the pattern. Also time yourself during these exercises.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 09:14
For reading comprehension, there is also a list of books to read to sharpen your RC skills. It's divided into recent classic fiction, heavyweights, and non-fiction. If you read through the replies, there are even more suggestions.

I don't have 5 posts, so it won't let me post the link, but search the forum for: "Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)"

What might be even more helpful is to join a book club, perhaps. Discussing what you read is often one of the best ways to improve comprehension, IMO.

Of course, this isn't to say that you shouldn't be doing more formal methods of practice as well. Extracurricular reading is just a beneficial addition to the standard test prep. :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 15:26
obsessively wrote:
For reading comprehension, there is also a list of books to read to sharpen your RC skills. It's divided into recent classic fiction, heavyweights, and non-fiction. If you read through the replies, there are even more suggestions.

I don't have 5 posts, so it won't let me post the link, but search the forum for: "Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)"

What might be even more helpful is to join a book club, perhaps. Discussing what you read is often one of the best ways to improve comprehension, IMO.

Of course, this isn't to say that you shouldn't be doing more formal methods of practice as well. Extracurricular reading is just a beneficial addition to the standard test prep. :)

I think most of the prep books for RC are not helpful... the strategies they offer are too general. if you do enough RC's you will come up with a personalized method that works for you... but if you really want help check out LSAT RC bible by Power Score...
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 15:29
i took the LSAT not long ago and my RC section was the portion that i had the most issues with to improve.... after coming up with my own strategy which is a combo strategy of different prep books i was able to improve substantially....
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 387 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 17:26
Two words:

Error log

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 06:10
mohater wrote:
Two words:

Error log

I think the error log helps A LOT especially with Quant, BUT with that being said, I think using it effectively is the harder part. GL

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 18:01
Wishbone wrote:
mohater wrote:
Two words:

Error log

I think the error log helps A LOT especially with Quant, BUT with that being said, I think using it effectively is the harder part. GL

that is true... and one thing is that you actually have to use it, that it could help you...
Re: Please suggest on how to improve quant score   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2011, 18:01