Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please take a look

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Please take a look [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2008, 13:53
Ethnicity: US/Swedish
GPA: 3.9 US News Top 50 public school in Humanities, PBK and Summa Cum Laude
GMAT : 720 Q48 V40

Work Experience:
2 Years in the US military as a small unit commander (20-30 people). I will probably be shifted to a staff job within a year, as is customary in my line of work. Unfortunately, I can't be more specific than that. I've graduated at the top of every military school I've been to.

Extracurriculars:
I spent most of my time in college working jobs, but I set up some small (~10 people), informal clubs on the side for mountain biking and photography. I have some community service, but no leadership. Since joining the military, I've only really been able to enjoy my hobbies (playing violin, cycling and photography). I'm constantly deployed for short periods, so all of my efforts to try to bolster my extracurriculars have failed.

Recs: I get strong quarterly reviews so I expect to get strong recommendations.

Why MBA: I'd like to get a job in trading for a bank and I know I lack the necessary skills.

Weaknesses: Few quantitative courses during college, GMAT

I have 1 year left before I apply to schools (for a total of 2 more years in the military) and I would like to know what I can do to strengthen my profile. I would also like to know what you suggest I do to find mentors. There are few alumni from my school who currently attend the top schools that I'm aiming for; I am planning on trying the veterans clubs. Do you have any suggestions? Another issue that I know will come up is that I won't be able to visit schools. Will this hurt me?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please take a look [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2008, 15:29
If at all possible make sure there is something unique to your profile beyond the military thing...also the military guys here are generally older. Often late 20s or early 30s...there is also a pretty good portion of the former military guys who then worked in the real world for a few years. Many of the former military guys here have impressive jobs while in the military. Top gun, blackhawk pilots, special forces, navy nuclear program...honestly I dont know of any guys who were basically grunts who got in without working for a while after the military.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please take a look [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2008, 05:47
walkingdead7 wrote:
Weaknesses: Few quantitative courses during college, GMAT

Why do you assume your GMAT is weak?

Your GMAT + GPA is good enough for any school.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please take a look [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 19:43
That is not a weak GMAT. It is above the mean for every B-school. Your GMAT + your GPA + your military background should = auto admit for nearly every school you apply to. Just make sure you have solid essays.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Re: Please take a look   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2008, 19:43