Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please tell me what my chances are for the top 100 schools:)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Please tell me what my chances are for the top 100 schools:) [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 06:56
Hello everyone, thanks for viewing this and hope you'll share with me your experiences. I really need that since I sometimes think I am thinking very low of myself, thus going to apply to some of the very low-ranked universities.

I have carefully considered research fit with faculty in my school selection

I NEED to be fully funded, otherwise can't accept the admission

- I'm a PhD applicant, Quantitative Marketing major, 25 years old
- First and last time GMAT 680, Q 45 and V 38
- TOEFL 107
- BA in English language and literature-GPA 3.8 from one of the top 10 universities in the nation
- MS in business, marketing-GPA 4, from absolutely the best business school in the nation
-Ranked in the top 99.9% in the national exam to masters program among 35,000 + participants
-The top student in all of the Masters program semesters
- Two published articles. Not top notch journals, but decent journals. Both articles have two authors. In the 1st article, my name is second and in the other one, my name is first (The change in name order shows my advancing in research)
-Extensive non-university level teaching experience to undergraduate and graduate students . One semester TA in university level.
- Translated one business-related book
- Some extra-curricular activities like running my own studentship journal, holding free classes for other students in the university scientific association
- About ten university-level presentations
- About 6 university-level workshops and conferences attended
- member of BMN ad BPJ, two of the most prestigious and high-level elite associations in Iran
- Strongly written LORs from professors with all of whom I have done research, or been TA for, or been the top students or a combination of these
- Effective, Strongly written SOP
- Limited job experience
- Decent familiarity with related computer softwares
-

I know my chances for top tiers like Stanford and NYU is low. But what about schools like University of California San Diego or Irvine? Or University of Florida or University of Texas at Dallas? Should I consider lower-ranked schools like University of Texas at El Paso or Arlington? I definitely need to get admitted this year or I'll lose the opportunity forever :( I can apply for up to 15 schools. What is your recommendation?

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Please tell me what my chances are for the top 100 schools:) [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 12:38
This post received
KUDOS
I say go for it! While your GMAT score won't be particularly attractive to the top schools, your overall profile is strong. My only concern is the "effectively, strongly written SOP." Applying to fifteen schools requires a lot of time as you should tailor your statement to reflect why each school is a good fit. Apply to schools with a strong research fit. You shouldn't concentrate your efforts on low-ranked schools since your profile doesn't warrant that, but definitely target a few just in case the applicant pool is strong this year.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please tell me what my chances are for the top 100 schools:) [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 12:47
Thanks, friend. I agree with your concern :) I have already written several SOP for my target schools, so I'm not in a rush. Hey you apply for PhD, too? What field?

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Please tell me what my chances are for the top 100 schools:) [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 13:13
I'm applying for Fall 2012 in Organizational Behavior. Wish me luck!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please tell me what my chances are for the top 100 schools:) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 04:18
busybee3 wrote:
I'm applying for Fall 2012 in Organizational Behavior. Wish me luck!

Good luck pal ;)

Re: Please tell me what my chances are for the top 100 schools:)   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2011, 04:18