Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 11:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please, your comments

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

Please, your comments [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 15:58
Hi folks!
Please, your advice. I took the GMAT and got a 680. I did it very well in Quant (49), but no so good in Verbal (35). I don't know whether I should retake it. I think that the rest of my profile could compensate that weakness. Please, take a look and give me your comments. I am interested in HBS, MIT, Stanford, and Chicago University.
This is my profile:
GMAT: 680 Q49 V35 (My native language is Spanish)
GPA: I suppose it is 4.0 because I was the best student of my class during college. (There is no GPA in my country)
Bachelor degree with honors: My thesis research received the highest degree, even the jury recomended to publish the thesis.
I was the best student in other specialization programs in which top students of diverse universities participated.
Work experience:
- 10 years
- I worked in the most important think tank of my country, also in the biggest bank. Then, in order to live a more meaningful life, I decided to quit from the bank and work in the government in order to design financial programs to help exporters and SMEs.
- I represented my country in international meetings outside my country during my work in the government.
- I was part of the team of the government to help exporters financially during the current internacional financial crisis.
- Also, I have been interviewed as an expert in some of the most important newspapers and radios of my country.
Leadership:
- I founded two organizations conformed by college students to develop leadership skills and make a difference in our comunity.

I wouldn't have problems in retaking the exam, but I am worried about whether I will have enough time to take my test of english (TOEFL) and writing my essays to be ready for the second round.
Do you think that my profile could compensate the GMAT?

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please, your comments [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 00:03
Expert's post
Hello there Danzig,
It looks like you have some fantastic stuff in your profile - Being valedictorian, plus your very prestigious sounding work experience. Good governement work is one of the best things you can apply to B-school to, esp. if you have some sort of dream to change the future. But still, the schools you are aiming for will be TOUGH with a 680. Not impossible! But you will be at a big disadvantage in comparison to others (they might just ask themselves: "Well why didn't he just retake?")

Right now, I don't really have enough detail about exactly what you do, where you are from, what your goals are to advise you further, buuuut feel free to drop us a line, and I or one of my consultants will give you a more precise evaluation, and for that I'd suggest you fill out our form (which asks all the right questions) for a free consultation:

http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!