Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 07:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pls advice my gmat strategy

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 02:57
Hello,

I planed to do OG 13th for third times at least. Then try new prep test 1 to see where am I getting at.

Then I Planed to buy gmat pill to work through all the concepts and thought process released by zekelee, trying to get 50+ points.

Then I try prep test 2 to see where am I getting at before the real exam.

(1) I don't know whether repeatedly do the og questions will help me improve my gmat scores. Now I am doing PS questions and hard questions are really difficult, I lost confidence in doing rest of questions. The problem I just began my og13.

My current ability is 410. I need a full and low score to high score (700) gmat study strategy.
_________________

aim high and get higher scores.

GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Posts: 121
Location: United States (TX)
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 03:25
Hello Dywane,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find so many great resources here, including the people and practice questions. Regarding the OG, you will not get better by doing them repeatedly. You will get better by doing them and learning from them.

You mentioned that you scored a 410. There seems to be a strong foundation lacking so we want to have a better understanding of that before we can help you with a plan. Can you tell us a little more about what you do well or poorly on?

Finally, it is vital that you understand the fundamentals of the English language. Therefore, make it good practice to communicate correctly on the forum. It doesn't sound like English is your native language and that's perfectly fine. This forum can be a place for you to practice. Tell us a little more information and I'll try to see if I can help point you the right way.
_________________

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 03:46
Thank you.
If Do the questions repeatedly won't do me any good, how am I going to improve my scores? What should I do?

I am poor at every section
_________________

aim high and get higher scores.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 03:51
I plan to repeatedly read og13 until I have ability to reach 700 in prep test. I can't figure out effective way on my study plan except do the questions repeatedly until understand all the concepts. That will do me good, right?


jxatrillion wrote:
Hello Dywane,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find so many great resources here, including the people and practice questions. Regarding the OG, you will not get better by doing them repeatedly. You will get better by doing them and learning from them.

You mentioned that you scored a 410. There seems to be a strong foundation lacking so we want to have a better understanding of that before we can help you with a plan. Can you tell us a little more about what you do well or poorly on?

Finally, it is vital that you understand the fundamentals of the English language. Therefore, make it good practice to communicate correctly on the forum. It doesn't sound like English is your native language and that's perfectly fine. This forum can be a place for you to practice. Tell us a little more information and I'll try to see if I can help point you the right way.

_________________

aim high and get higher scores.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Posts: 121
Location: United States (TX)
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 03:51
To be honest with you, I would highly recommend a reputable course where an instructor can help guide you.

If you believe that you can study on your own, I would say the 8 Strategy Guides are your best bet.
_________________

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 12:48
+1 for the Manhattan GMAT set of 8.

I also agree that if you can afford a tutor, that would be your best bet, especially i you're looking to go from a 400 level to anything near a 700 level.

Besides that, go through the forum and absorb all the advice you can - there's plenty to be had. There's also a great iphone/ipad app circulating around.

Something else you need to establish before blindly striking out are goals. What is your goal in taking the GMAT and what school/program are you looking to get into? While it is possible, scoring a 700 may not be in your best interest when scoring a mid 600s may get you to where you want to be.

What are your goals and how long do you have to accomplish them?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 03:22
I will buy gmat pill, It well said. What is 8 strategy guides? Can you give me a link on that? I need a effective and efficient study plan for me to reach 700.

jxatrillion wrote:
To be honest with you, I would highly recommend a reputable course where an instructor can help guide you.

If you believe that you can study on your own, I would say the 8 Strategy Guides are your best bet.

_________________

aim high and get higher scores.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 137
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 03:29
dywane wrote:
I will buy gmat pill, It well said. What is 8 strategy guides? Can you give me a link on that? I need a effective and efficient study plan for me to reach 700.

jxatrillion wrote:
To be honest with you, I would highly recommend a reputable course where an instructor can help guide you.

If you believe that you can study on your own, I would say the 8 Strategy Guides are your best bet.


http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Strateg ... 098417804X
_________________

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 03:32
Thanks for help.

I will buy gmat pill, it is well said.

Besides the posts are not good. Different people have different ability on gmat, I think it is not helpful at all.

I have very low gpa in school, so I plan to get 700+. I want to be perfect to myself. If I can. I want to apply for keller graduate school of management.

I don't have goal. If I bought gmatpill, I will have 30days study plan. I need a tailored gmat study plan to help me move up the ladder.

what now am I doing just do the og13 questions repeatedly. I can't figure out other way.

albertaudi wrote:
+1 for the Manhattan GMAT set of 8.

I also agree that if you can afford a tutor, that would be your best bet, especially i you're looking to go from a 400 level to anything near a 700 level.

Besides that, go through the forum and absorb all the advice you can - there's plenty to be had. There's also a great iphone/ipad app circulating around.

Something else you need to establish before blindly striking out are goals. What is your goal in taking the GMAT and what school/program are you looking to get into? While it is possible, scoring a 700 may not be in your best interest when scoring a mid 600s may get you to where you want to be.

What are your goals and how long do you have to accomplish them?

_________________

aim high and get higher scores.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 03:33
what is manhanten gmat set 8???? Can you give me a link on that one?


dywane wrote:
Thanks for help.

I will buy gmat pill, it is well said.

Besides the posts are not good. Different people have different ability on gmat, I think it is not helpful at all.

I have very low gpa in school, so I plan to get 700+. I want to be perfect to myself. If I can. I want to apply for keller graduate school of management.

I don't have goal. If I bought gmatpill, I will have 30days study plan. I need a tailored gmat study plan to help me move up the ladder.

what now am I doing just do the og13 questions repeatedly. I can't figure out other way.

albertaudi wrote:
+1 for the Manhattan GMAT set of 8.

I also agree that if you can afford a tutor, that would be your best bet, especially i you're looking to go from a 400 level to anything near a 700 level.

Besides that, go through the forum and absorb all the advice you can - there's plenty to be had. There's also a great iphone/ipad app circulating around.

Something else you need to establish before blindly striking out are goals. What is your goal in taking the GMAT and what school/program are you looking to get into? While it is possible, scoring a 700 may not be in your best interest when scoring a mid 600s may get you to where you want to be.

What are your goals and how long do you have to accomplish them?

_________________

aim high and get higher scores.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 137
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 03:44
dywane wrote:
what is manhanten gmat set 8???? Can you give me a link on that one?



http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Strateg ... 098417804X ...
Review:

2. Manhattan GMAT set of 8 Strategy Guides
Not to be over-zealous but I would say the most comprehensive self-prep money can buy
Strengths:
1. Very in-depth overview of every GMAT subject in 8 dedicated guides (each is 100-200 pages long)
2. Includes access to 6 online practice tests
3. Hundreds of additional targeted practice questions available online (get free access by using the codes inside of each book)
4. Includes the best of the best gmat books such as: MGMAT Number properties, MGMAT Word Translations, MGMAT SC, MGMAT CR, and MGMAT RC
Weaknesses:
1. Requires Official Guide for best results (additional practice questions)

best-gmat-books-118706.html
_________________

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 137
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 04:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
I assume that your quant's score is better than that of verbal, so I think here is a possible plan...

Books:

For SC: MGMAT SC is the key to success. Read theory, do the problems at the end of each chapter and return to the theory if you get wrong. Practice makes perfect. SC is pattern; the more you do, the more you will be proficient so that you can spare time for CR and RC.
Other good material are SC Grail and our forum's resource : gmat-grammar-ultimate-by-gmat-club-102387.html

For CR: I choose CR bible. The structure of the book is clear and its explanation helps me a lot.
RC: Reading, reading, reading.... I prefer magazines to fiction because it's up to date and I think that their contexts are similar to those of GMAT. However, you may prefer fiction :D. Your choice. Try to get the main idea, the tone and the structure while reading.

Quant: MGMAT 's quant and OG + problems on our forum

You have 30 days...

Week 1 (Focus on Verbal)
Day1: Diagnosis test => Current position of verbal and quant . Review your mistakes
Day2: MGMAT SC + OG problems
Day3: CR Bible + OG
Day4: MGMAT SC + OG
Day5: RC
Day6: Quant
Day7: Review

Week 2 (Focus on Verbal)
Day1:CR Bible + OG
Day2: MGMAT SC + OG problems
Day3: CR Bible + OG
Day4: RC
Day5: RC
Day6: Quant
Day7: Review

Week 3 ( Verbal = Quant)
Day1: Quant
Day2: MGMAT SC + OG problems
Day3: Quant
Day4: CR Bible
Day5: Quant
Day6: RC
Day7: Review

Week 4: Test+ Review...

Hope it helps
_________________

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 04:43
thx. but I am afraid I have to pass on manhanten, it is said not good. I want to buy gmat pill... Do you think gmat pill is good?
_________________

aim high and get higher scores.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 137
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 05:09
dywane wrote:
thx. but I am afraid I have to pass on manhanten, it is said not good. I want to buy gmat pill... Do you think gmat pill is good?


You can open any threads in "Share experience" box in our forum to see the quality of MGMAT....
I do not use any tutor service so there is no comment ....
_________________

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 137
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 05:11
gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html
Hope it helps... Gluck with your preparation.
_________________

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Re: Pls advice my gmat strategy   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2012, 05:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Pls help my gmat strategy tuyingjie2012 1 12 Dec 2011, 06:08
Experts publish their posts in the topic Retaking the GMAT, strategy advice? grimm 2 21 Aug 2011, 12:41
1 Pls Critique my GMAT Strategy given these circumstances... Blayze 4 20 Apr 2009, 10:18
GMAT Strategy/Advice ventivish 0 04 Oct 2008, 18:31
GMAT strategy Advice?? BuddaBelly 2 16 Sep 2008, 07:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Pls advice my gmat strategy

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.