Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PLS check my Learning Strategy + Book Selection

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

PLS check my Learning Strategy + Book Selection [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 02:47
Hello!

This is my first post so please feel free to move it to the appropriate thread!

I am planning to get a score of 690-700 by the end of January. I will only be able to start studying in mid October so I have about 3.5 months for studying. One thing I will definitely have to take into account are the Christmas holidays (during which I won't be able to study full-time). :?
My rough plan is to complete revising and practicing questions before Christmas so that I can do CATs the whole January.

Maybe I should add that I don't consider myself as "genius" especially with quant problems (I might be better in the verbal section but need a well-balanced score because I am looking for a MSc in Finance). I always need my time especially with totally new problems but don't have to much difficulties to understand them after a while (maybe the time pressure might be an issue?). So learning patterns to solve questions seems to be of utmost importance to me...
However, even though I show the GMAT a lot of respect, I think that a high score is achievable since I am still used to studying whole days and highly motivated (until now :wink: I know that motivation will decrease after a few months of studying...)!

I started getting comfortable with the GMAT a few months ago (since my university offered a free preparation workshop) but just for a few days. I used Princeton Review and I already noticed that I don't really like those books that want to sell you the "Holy Grail of problem solving strategies" without going too much into depth. A well-stuctured, profound and extensive book/s seem more suitable for my style of learning. I came to the conclusion that these seem to be:
- Veritas
- MGMAT
I will be picking one of them (probably MGMAT).

What else do I definitely need? The OG (+ verbal/quant review) for sure. I heard mixed opinions that OG is maybe a little bit too easy for high scores so I was thinking of getting Kaplan 800 (for hard questions) as well...

To sum up:

Full-time ~3.5 months
2 months for studying/revising/understanding foundations with MGMAT/Veritas + practicing with OG & Kaplan 800
1 month for repeating everything and doing CATs
Goal: ~700 (well-balanced)

Do you think that this is doable if I study about 7 hours a day. I have been a student till recently so I am not concerned not being able to study full-time 6 to 7 days a week?
What do you think about the selection of books? Is it maybe too much material?

Thank you for your replies!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
PLS check my Learning Strategy + Book Selection   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2012, 02:47