Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pls critique my profile and chances for top 7 schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pls critique my profile and chances for top 7 schools [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 10:03
Paul et all,
Thanks for helping others here! Pls assess my chances.

Here are my stats:
• 680 then 720 in GMAT (98% quant 80% verbal/5 AWA)
• 3.18 GPA, PURDUE UNIVERSITY, BS Engineering & Minor in Economics, all completed in just 3 years! (no summers!)
• 27 year old Indian, working at Intel, California for 6 years as Senior Engineer, being lead in many projects with $$$+

Work Experience
• 7 years by fall ‘07 (now at 6 years) in Intel (inclusive of + 1 yr in a start up company in Bay area 2000-2001)
• Senior Validaiton Engineer
• I have been promoted 2 times last year, 5 divisional awards.
• For the last year and a half, I have had 4 people officially report to me.
• Recommendations should be very good.

• I also own my MATH tutoring business, taight more than 130 students last year, many GMAT Quant students. This is big and has been my passion. I also teach Math to blind using my methods.
• Highest Math chievement at High School! Outstanding student of the year, Outstanding Allrounder of the year, Best sportsman of the year, Games Captain in High School.

Extracurricular/community:
• Soccer captain of Intel Team
• Founder and Cricket captain of Intel team.
• Speak 6 languages, lived in 4 continents.
• Founded and captained Soccer Team in Purdue UNiversity for IndiaN students association.
• Meditiation and Yoga

Interested in doing entrepeneurship that ties in with my current math business.

My choices in order:
1. Stanford (early application deadline)
2. Harvard
3. Berkeley
4. Wharton
5. Chicago
6. MIT
7. Yale

Thanks in advance…
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 10:33
I forgot to add:

8. Kellogs (Northwestern)
9. Univ Michigan Ann Arbor
10. Columbia

By the way, My essays should be very strong. Should the focus be on my business or work exp at Intel?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 19:34
indiansoccer007 wrote:
I forgot to add:

8. Kellogs (Northwestern)
9. Univ Michigan Ann Arbor
10. Columbia

By the way, My essays should be very strong. Should the focus be on my business or work exp at Intel?

indiansoccer007,

Though you have an impressive profile, your chances at Stanford and HBS will be slim because your background is not sufficiently distinctive or unusual. You have a better shot at Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia, and MIT, but I would guess that not more than 1 or 2 would admit you, if that, with MIT being the more likely in this group. Your odds at Haas, Chicago, Michigan, and Yale are the best of all. I could see 2, perhaps 3, of these schools admitting you. I don't mean to be discouraging, but you belong to a fiercely competitive applicant pool, and though you seem to be fall on the upper end of this pool, you have a significant challenge in making yourself stand out.

For the essays, I think you should consider your software work to be your main professional experience, but tell the entrepreneurial story too--both in the goals essay and perhaps in one other 'accomplishment' type essay.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 14:25
Paul,
Thanks for the feedback.

So here is the difference between me and typical software applicant pool from India.

1. --I am hardware engineer, unlike typical 'software' engineers from India.
2. --I received my undergrad degree from PURDUE, unlike most ppl from india who have degrees from India.
3. --I have 6+ yr exp at Intel.
4. --I spk 6 languages as opposed to the typical candidate from India.

Do you think I still fit in that pool? If I do, then I am in for trouble, but honestly I don't think so.... Please give me your second opinion on this.

Thanks!
-Soccer007
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2006, 12:15
Expert's post
indiansoccer007 wrote:
Paul,
Thanks for the feedback.

So here is the difference between me and typical software applicant pool from India.

1. --I am hardware engineer, unlike typical 'software' engineers from India.
2. --I received my undergrad degree from PURDUE, unlike most ppl from india who have degrees from India.
3. --I have 6+ yr exp at Intel.
4. --I spk 6 languages as opposed to the typical candidate from India.

Do you think I still fit in that pool? If I do, then I am in for trouble, but honestly I don't think so.... Please give me your second opinion on this.

Thanks!
-Soccer007

Soccer007,

You do a good job of identifying your uniqueness factors. You must hammer away at all of these in your essays and also look for a few *more*, such as in your personal life or community experiences. Don't let them put you in a box. I think you can convince them not to. It's a question of self-understanding (which you seem to have) and then execution.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog