Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 11:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

pls evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Retired Moderator
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
pls evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 18:33
Hi... Thans in advance for evaluating my profile

1) Male , Indian , 31 , Non IT background - Business Management
2) We have 10+2+3 education system in India ( 10th - 73%, 12th - 80% , was nominated for National Scholarship scheme being a student of top 500 slot out from a pool of 60k students )
4) Undergrads - Bachelors in Business Admin ( we have % evaluation system for graduation in India, i scored 65% in my undergrads , i don't know how business schools evaluate this system, i had been among top 50 students of the university )
5) Executive programme in Business Management ( a part time certificate programme of one year ) from Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta ( IIM C) , IIM is very well know b-school in india. honestly speaking didn't get any value addition from this programme.
6)I was awarded scholarship of 50% waiver in tuition fees by one of the top 10 business schools on the basis of my scores for their entrance exams ( quiet similar on the lines of GMAT ) in the year 2000, because i was among top 50 students of the country.

7) Experience - nine years of experience in Financial Services ( Functionally - Business Development , Retail ) , excellent exposure in terms of leadership , have been leading and managing people for the last seven years now ( jr level manpower in first 4 yrs and mid level manpower for the last 3 yrs ). Have worked with very well known companies of India. Have managed sales teams at state/regional level in the most competitive markets.

Career progression == trainee == officer == sr.officer == asst manager == deputy manager == manager == sr. manager

Now ,here comes the weakness too

1)No international work exposure because my job doesn't demand it all , in IT companies you get to work across globe because the industry demands it wherein my job profile doesn't demand it.. so how would adcom view it ?
2) hv already reached an age of 31

Now comes the question Why MBA ?

Wanna get into consulting , so my focus would be sales consulting, marketing and stratagy.

I have been preparing for GMAT and have been consistently scoring 600-640 , but am afraid that this score won't help me in reaching anywhere so am still giving some more time to reach upto 680-700 atleast or 700+.

Now my questions

1) which b-schools do you think are good as per my profile..US as well as non US.
2) I am sure that i appear for gmat right now i would score around 650 , so should i appear for gmat or should i make it sure that i reach to a level of 700 , what should be an ideal score for such profile with higher work experience like mine.
3)My serious concern is my age, hope my age (31) doesnt put me in Sr Citizen category.

I understand a few aspects of my questions are very relative , but would be obliged it you can just give your individual comments on the basis of your experience till date

Thanks very much
Hiren

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [1] , given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: pls evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hirendhanak wrote:
Thanks very much for your prompt and insightful reply.

1) My total experience is 10 yrs( non IT ) , i have been leading team for the last 8 yrs , do these factors make my profile stand out of a competitive pool of indian students ( especially lot of IT students ).

2) Do you think europian business schools ( one year full time programme ) prefers more senior students as compared to the US business schools

3) How do you see my chances for LBS , Cambridge , Oxford, what should be the ideal score to apply at these three school to be in safety net ?

thanks very much again

To answer your questions:

1) Slightly. If you have a lot of leadership and management, and it seems you do, that will help too.
2) I do.
3) If your GMAT end up where you want it to, you would have a competitive chance for Oxford and Cambridge. LBSwould be a stretch. If you stays in the current range, I don't believe you would be competitive at any of these 3 schools.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 311 [1] , given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: pls evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 17:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hirendhanak wrote:
Thanks very much Linda , I am sorry i missed one aspect of application in my primary post. ( i just came to know abt this requirement today only )

I have formal education of 15 years ( 10+2+3 ), and i did my one year programme in business management while working ( this one year programme is offered by one of the best business school of india , where one has to attend lectures on sat and sunday at the designated centers , and at the end of the course 10 days at the campus )

Does one require total 16 yrs of formal education to apply at US b-schools ? if yes , will my this one year certificate programme be counted as 16th year or not

IF it is not counted as 16th year .. am i limiting my prospects at US ?

Sorry if i crossed my limit of questions , and thanks very much for your reverts.

You're most welcome.

It depends and the situation is in flux. Basically, you need to check with the programs you are interested in individually. Some schools will want to see a full sixteen year of full-time education (I believe UCLA, Haas, and Ross fall into that category, but you should check). Some say a 3 year bachelors + one year of post-graduate education is fine. Just check with each school. For some, the info may be on their web sites.

Regards,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: pls evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 22:59
Expert's post
hirendhanak wrote:
Hi... Thans in advance for evaluating my profile

1) Male , Indian , 31 , Non IT background - Business Management
2) We have 10+2+3 education system in India ( 10th - 73%, 12th - 80% , was nominated for National Scholarship scheme being a student of top 500 slot out from a pool of 60k students )
4) Undergrads - Bachelors in Business Admin ( we have % evaluation system for graduation in India, i scored 65% in my undergrads , i don't know how business schools evaluate this system, i had been among top 50 students of the university )
5) Executive programme in Business Management ( a part time certificate programme of one year ) from Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta ( IIM C) , IIM is very well know b-school in india. honestly speaking didn't get any value addition from this programme.
6)I was awarded scholarship of 50% waiver in tuition fees by one of the top 10 business schools on the basis of my scores for their entrance exams ( quiet similar on the lines of GMAT ) in the year 2000, because i was among top 50 students of the country.

7) Experience - nine years of experience in Financial Services ( Functionally - Business Development , Retail ) , excellent exposure in terms of leadership , have been leading and managing people for the last seven years now ( jr level manpower in first 4 yrs and mid level manpower for the last 3 yrs ). Have worked with very well known companies of India. Have managed sales teams at state/regional level in the most competitive markets.

Career progression == trainee == officer == sr.officer == asst manager == deputy manager == manager == sr. manager

Now ,here comes the weakness too

1)No international work exposure because my job doesn't demand it all , in IT companies you get to work across globe because the industry demands it wherein my job profile doesn't demand it.. so how would adcom view it ?
2) hv already reached an age of 31

Now comes the question Why MBA ?

Wanna get into consulting , so my focus would be sales consulting, marketing and stratagy.

I have been preparing for GMAT and have been consistently scoring 600-640 , but am afraid that this score won't help me in reaching anywhere so am still giving some more time to reach upto 680-700 atleast or 700+.

Now my questions

1) which b-schools do you think are good as per my profile..US as well as non US.
2) I am sure that i appear for gmat right now i would score around 650 , so should i appear for gmat or should i make it sure that i reach to a level of 700 , what should be an ideal score for such profile with higher work experience like mine.
3)My serious concern is my age, hope my age (31) doesnt put me in Sr Citizen category.

I understand a few aspects of my questions are very relative , but would be obliged it you can just give your individual comments on the basis of your experience till date

Thanks very much
Hiren

Hiren,

Thanks for your questions. To answer them.

1) It is really difficult to recommend schools without having a GMATscore or at least a narrower range. I think it makes more sense for you to ask this question when you have a better sense of your GMAT score. However with your current score, I would recommend Indiana Kelley, Tulane, and maybe Vanderbilt.
2) The elite strategy consulting firms really want to see a 700+ GMAT. If you want to aim for those firms, then you should try to raise your GMAT.
3) YOur age would make you a "senior citizen" at those programs with lower average ages at matriculation. However for most programs, the average age at matriculation is 28 or 29 and you would be OK. Please see "MBA Admissions for Older Applicants."

You might also be interested in Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: pls evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 23:55
Thanks very much for your prompt and insightful reply.

1) My total experience is 10 yrs( non IT ) , i have been leading team for the last 8 yrs , do these factors make my profile stand out of a competitive pool of indian students ( especially lot of IT students ).

2) Do you think europian business schools ( one year full time programme ) prefers more senior students as compared to the US business schools

3) How do you see my chances for LBS , Cambridge , Oxford, what should be the ideal score to apply at these three school to be in safety net ?

thanks very much again

Amazing Platform

Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: pls evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 04:10
Thanks very much Linda , I am sorry i missed one aspect of application in my primary post. ( i just came to know abt this requirement today only )

I have formal education of 15 years ( 10+2+3 ), and i did my one year programme in business management while working ( this one year programme is offered by one of the best business school of india , where one has to attend lectures on sat and sunday at the designated centers , and at the end of the course 10 days at the campus )

Does one require total 16 yrs of formal education to apply at US b-schools ? if yes , will my this one year certificate programme be counted as 16th year or not

IF it is not counted as 16th year .. am i limiting my prospects at US ?

Sorry if i crossed my limit of questions , and thanks very much for your reverts.

Amazing Platform