Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 01:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pls Evaluate my Profile...!!!!!!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.61
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Pls Evaluate my Profile...!!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 02:31
Hi Friends.....

I am Devarshi, Male, 28 years, Electrical Engineer from Lucknow, India

My profile;

X---UP Board ---72% (marking was very strict, State Board Topper used to get between 84-90%)
XII----UP Board---- 72% (marking was very strict, State Board Topper used to get between 84-90%)
then a gap of 3 yrs...

B.Tech(Electrical & Electronics)----UP Technical University----66% (CGPA 6.6 on a scale of 10) (Again, not sure how this will convert to US GPA but my class topper must have got 78-80% and State university Topper 82-84%)

Average extra crculars at School and College level.
Played Cricket and Badminton at School and College level...but don't have many certificates to show it)

then 2 years of experience as a Lecturer and a Trainee Engineer in an Electronics company....nothing much significant...was preparing for PSUs and CAT...
July 2009---Selected in Power Grid Corporation of India Limited through All India Test...
CTC 11.5 LPA at that time...
Currently working in PGCIL as an Engineer in Executive cadre with a CTC of 12.5 LPA ( Approx 20000$ per annum....Inhand salary 1000$ per Month...)
work exp in PGCIL ----40 months

Managing the operation of High voltage AC transmission System at 765/400 kV as well as 400/220 kV Sub-stations as Shift in charge.
Managing an Operation and Maintenance Team looking after the Power System Elements such as Power Transformers, Shunt Reactors, Circuit Breakers, Instrument Transformers.
Managing a Testing and Commissioning Team performing on site testing of various power system elements and protection schemes.
Managing a team looking after the functions of Fixed Series Compensator to increase the Power Transmission Capacity of a High Voltage Transmission Line.

Also Attended few certificate Programs such as in Technical Consulting, BSI standards etc.

Have started preparing for GMAT...will be taking it in early 2013.
Just took GMAT prep practice test 1....score came out to be 710.
I will be targeting 750.

Just wanted to ask u Guys...considering my avg Acads and gaps during study...and a low GPA at Grad level, which international MBA prgms i can look forward to....also...shall a higher GMAT score compensate for an avrge Acadmc performance....whether there are any good MBA progms that overlook avg GPA if i fare well in my essays nd interviews....Any suggestion will be highly regarded.. :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 29

Re: Pls Evaluate my Profile...!!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 23:04
Expert's post
Sooo let's start with your questions...
First of all, although a very high GMAT can help compensate for a low GPA, it does not efface it. Which means that at the very top schools (like sloan, HBS, Stanford, Chicago) you will be up against tough competition - people who not only have the 750, but will also have a 3.9 GPA, and a very strong work experience. Nonetheless with a 750, even with a 710 (although 750 is better if you can) you will have a shot at most of the other top schools.

Now, the important things:
1. From the way you write your post I see lots of numbers.... but numbers don't necessarily get you into Bschool. We need to see a paradigm change in your thought here - we need qualitative results and achievements as much as quantitative ones. A very high GMAT will not, in of itself, "magically" get you accepted. But a very high GMAT coupled with strong stories might!
2. How are you unique??? Take it for granted that every single Indian applicant will apply with an amazing GMAT, because they will. So the question now becomes, what do I have that others do not? What makes me special? And it's not all your technical responsibilities or achievements. For the most part business schools don't care about that stuff. so what makes you DIFFERENT???

Hope these thoughts get you started on the right track, and if you have anything else, feel free to post it.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.61
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Pls Evaluate my Profile...!!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 08:59
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Sooo let's start with your questions...
First of all, although a very high GMAT can help compensate for a low GPA, it does not efface it. Which means that at the very top schools (like sloan, HBS, Stanford, Chicago) you will be up against tough competition - people who not only have the 750, but will also have a 3.9 GPA, and a very strong work experience. Nonetheless with a 750, even with a 710 (although 750 is better if you can) you will have a shot at most of the other top schools.

Now, the important things:
1. From the way you write your post I see lots of numbers.... but numbers don't necessarily get you into Bschool. We need to see a paradigm change in your thought here - we need qualitative results and achievements as much as quantitative ones. A very high GMAT will not, in of itself, "magically" get you accepted. But a very high GMAT coupled with strong stories might!
2. How are you unique??? Take it for granted that every single Indian applicant will apply with an amazing GMAT, because they will. So the question now becomes, what do I have that others do not? What makes me special? And it's not all your technical responsibilities or achievements. For the most part business schools don't care about that stuff. so what makes you DIFFERENT???

Hope these thoughts get you started on the right track, and if you have anything else, feel free to post it.

Thanks for the Reply....I would like to add some information I have collected recently while searching for a specific pool of B-schools which offer Programmes more aligned towards my experience, exposure as well as short and long term goals ...

First...Major B-Schools don't want an international student to convert his corresponding Grades to US GPA system, rather they expect them to submit it as per their University norms...Also...according to World Education Services website and a few other reliable GPA converting sources...A Bachelor's degree with more than 60% marks from any university in India...corresponds to a minimum of 3.5 to 4.0 US GPA...Accordingly I can safely assume that I have a corresponding US GPA of 3.5 or more...which might not be considered bad for any US B-school application I suppose...So...no more worries as far as this GPA thing is concerned....

However....I am seriously introspecting about how to represent myself different from the lot to grab a few eyeballs...and am working on the community service and extra curricular thing too....Thanks for guiding me.. :)
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 29

Re: Pls Evaluate my Profile...!!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 03:55
Expert's post
Exactly.. "eyeball-grabbing".. I like how you put it. That's what we need. Something that makes you UNIQUE...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!