Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pls. evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pls. evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2006, 08:34
I am a 35 yr asian male, who is seeking admission to either NYU Stern or Columbia Business school.

My GMAT score is 700 (Q 50, V 35). AWA is still awaited.

I completed engineering in electronics and communication engg. from a school in India and secured a GPA of 3.4 (approx. conversion from the % system in India).

I was initially in sales of computer systems and after a year, shifted my focus into software engineering. I worked at Siemens, India, for five years where I intially worked as a senior IT engineer and then quickly moved to a more responsible role of leading the IT function in a Siemens telecommunications factory. I picked up business process knowledge in manufacturing and other ERP functions, and also led the effort for the implementation of SAP in the factory.

I came to the US in 1999 and moved into the customer relationship management space in the technical consulting area. After a year of consulting I wanted to contribute to product development and hence, joined PeopleSoft Inc. in 2000. My idea was to to experience the entire lifecycle of the development of a product, while focusing on the customer relationship management function. I got a breadth of experience in the entire lifecycle of product development in PeopleSoft/ Oracle. I am still with Oracle now and would now like to switch to product strategy and product management.

Since I'm married and live in NYC, I would like to concentrate only on the two schools - NYU and Columbia BS for their fulltime programs and concentrate on product management and general management.

What are my chances of getting into these schools and how can I enhance my application? Any tips of how I can establish myself as unique among the general appication pool (some examples would be gr8).

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls. evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2006, 14:43
sujayb wrote:
I am a 35 yr asian male, who is seeking admission to either NYU Stern or Columbia Business school.

I completed engineering in electronics and communication engg. from a school in India and secured a GPA of 3.4 (approx. conversion from the % system in India).

I was initially in sales of computer systems and after a year, shifted my focus into software engineering. I worked at Siemens, India, for five years where I intially worked as a senior IT engineer and then quickly moved to a more responsible role of leading the IT function in a Siemens telecommunications factory. I picked up business process knowledge in manufacturing and other ERP functions, and also led the effort for the implementation of SAP in the factory.

I came to the US in 1999 and moved into the customer relationship management space in the technical consulting area. After a year of consulting I wanted to contribute to product development and hence, joined PeopleSoft Inc. in 2000. My idea was to to experience the entire lifecycle of the development of a product, while focusing on the customer relationship management function. I got a breadth of experience in the entire lifecycle of product development in PeopleSoft/ Oracle. I am still with Oracle now and would now like to switch to product strategy and product management.

Since I'm married and live in NYC, I would like to concentrate only on the two schools - NYU and Columbia BS for their fulltime programs and concentrate on product management and general management.

What are my chances of getting into these schools and how can I enhance my application? Any tips of how I can establish myself as unique among the general appication pool (some examples would be gr8).

Thanks.

SujayB,

Your odds are better at NYU than at CBS. Your age, apparent lack of management at work, and community involvement outside (my assumption because you didn't mention it) combined with the commonness of your profile will make it tougher for you. One thing you can do is to apply to their part-time programs. Other tips are to create an essay set that really drives home your leadership and shows you are really focused and informed about your goals. In terms of standing out, personal obstacles, unusual experiences (like living overseas), even unusual hobbies can help. See Accepted.com's advice for Indian applicants.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pls. evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2006, 23:00
pbodine wrote:
sujayb wrote:

Thanks.

SujayB,

Your odds are better at NYU than at CBS. Your age, apparent lack of management at work, and community involvement outside (my assumption because you didn't mention it) combined with the commonness of your profile will make it tougher for you. One thing you can do is to apply to their part-time programs. Other tips are to create an essay set that really drives home your leadership and shows you are really focused and informed about your goals. In terms of standing out, personal obstacles, unusual experiences (like living overseas), even unusual hobbies can help. See Accepted.com's advice for Indian applicants.

Good luck,

Thanks a lot Paul.

Do I have any chance applying to the full-time program at Stern?

Although I did not mention in my profile, I do have some community experience. I starting out being an active member of the music and electronics club in engineering school. In the past few years, while in the US, I was an active volunteer at a local religious organization, helping to organize festivities and also organizing clothes and food drive.

Should I mention this in the essays?

Thanks for your help.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls. evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 09:36
sujayb wrote:
pbodine wrote:
sujayb wrote:

Thanks.

SujayB,

Good luck,

Thanks a lot Paul.

Do I have any chance applying to the full-time program at Stern?

Although I did not mention in my profile, I do have some community experience. I starting out being an active member of the music and electronics club in engineering school. In the past few years, while in the US, I was an active volunteer at a local religious organization, helping to organize festivities and also organizing clothes and food drive.

Should I mention this in the essays?

Thanks for your help.

Sujayb,

Yes, you have a chance at NYU Stern full-time, though in my opinion it is only a fair chance. You will have to emphasize any leadership stories you have and do your best to make yourself stand out relative to other applicants. Yes, you should discuss the community work in an essay, assuming that you did more than just show up, that you had a leadership role or heavy involvement. You also need to talk about why you did this community work, what it meant to you, etc.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter