Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pls help in researching schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Pls help in researching schools [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 21:19
Hi Paul

How many schools should be ideally applied in one round ? I am giving a brief description of my profile. Could you help me in categorising schools that would fall into the following criteria and also any other tips for the admission process:

- Stretch or dream schools
- Reach schools
- Safe bet schools

Nationality: Indian

GMAT Score: 760 (v 44/q 49)

Work Ex:
1. 5 years in IBM as an IT consultant, providing technology solutions to my client at&t.
2. Currently a team lead of 7 members.
3. Have almost 2 years of international experience i.e in US.
4. Have won 4 awards in 5 years.

Career Goals: Want to a career in Consulting.

Undergraduate Degree: Mechanical Engineering in NIT Silchar, class of 2006

CPA : 8.5/10 i.e 8.5 in a scale of 10.

Leadership and Extra Curricular Activities:

1. Co founder of organization HOPES to educate underprivileged children during my college days. Unfortunately could not keep the organization alive after college days.

2. Currently a member of a similar organization .viz HELP.

3. Was the prefect in college hostel. Have organised events and provided internet facility in my hostel.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Pls help in researching schools [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 22:37
Expert's post
Hey cipher17:

you seem to have a pretty good resume from what I can tell. While I would of liked you to have been more specific about what it is you want to do within the field of management consulting, I do think it is a logical fit based on your current work experience. What is really going to help you is the international nature of your experience, as well as your awesome GMAT score.

I worked with a couple of IBM consultants this past year and I know they had invites from Columbia, Haas, Ross, UCLA and a few others. While both were living in the United States, each had grown up overseas. So they have somewhat similar backgrounds to yours and they were very successful under my tutelage.so with your background, I would definitely target the schools as well as other programs that emphasize an international experience -- namely Dartmouth and Duke. I think a stretch would be Wharton, but I do think that it is worth applying. I think you may also want to take a closer look at MIT. Safe schools would be UCLA and perhaps an NYU.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

cipher17 wrote:
Hi Paul

How many schools should be ideally applied in one round ? I am giving a brief description of my profile. Could you help me in categorising schools that would fall into the following criteria and also any other tips for the admission process:

- Reach schools
- Safe bet schools

Work Ex:
1. 5 years in IBM as an IT consultant, providing technology solutions to my client at&t.

1. Co founder of organization HOPES to educate underprivileged children during my college days. Unfortunately could not keep the organization alive after college days.

3. Was the prefect in college hostel. Have organised events and provided internet facility in my hostel.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Pls help in researching schools [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 17:18
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey cipher17:

you seem to have a pretty good resume from what I can tell. While I would of liked you to have been more specific about what it is you want to do within the field of management consulting, I do think it is a logical fit based on your current work experience. What is really going to help you is the international nature of your experience, as well as your awesome GMAT score.

I worked with a couple of IBM consultants this past year and I know they had invites from Columbia, Haas, Ross, UCLA and a few others. While both were living in the United States, each had grown up overseas. So they have somewhat similar backgrounds to yours and they were very successful under my tutelage.so with your background, I would definitely target the schools as well as other programs that emphasize an international experience -- namely Dartmouth and Duke. I think a stretch would be Wharton, but I do think that it is worth applying. I think you may also want to take a closer look at MIT. Safe schools would be UCLA and perhaps an NYU.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

cipher17 wrote:
Hi Paul

- Reach schools
- Safe bet schools

Work Ex:

Paul

Thanks a lot for the confidence booster. I was really worried as in how far my profile would take me as I also belong to an over represented pool of applicants and Indians score well in GMAT too :). I feel much better after your positive review of my profile. I think one more important aspect in my application process would be how well I can differentiate myself from other applicants from my pool. As of now, I have not been an extra ordinary achiever in my life but I need to introspect more. What would you like to suggest in that regard ?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Pls help in researching schools [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 16:58
Expert's post
Hi cipher17:

I am not sure as to the nature of your latest question. I think you are saying that you want suggestions on how to be introspective. That is something that you need to develop. Only you can answer how these activities have affected you. Only you can answer how people, places and events have affected you when you grew up and how they affect what you do today. Take a step back and consider your family history or perhaps what your parents do, or even some type of acute event that occurred when you are growing up. How did it change the way you think or feel? How did it affect your relationships?

Only you can answer these questions.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton