Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pls Help! - Inputs on schools to apply to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: AGSM '16
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Pls Help! - Inputs on schools to apply to [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 20:37
hi all,

An overview of my profile is given below - would greatly appreciate inputs on schools to apply to.
Im planning to apply for the Fall 2014 class.

male/24/ Indian

Undergrad: ( B. E. -Chemical Engineering) - from Manipal University - 2010
- graduated summa cum laude (gpa - 9.1/10)

Masters: (M. Tech. - Energy Studies) - from IIT Delhi ( among the top 3 colgs in India) - 2012
- gpa of 8.65/10 ( among the top 5 on the class)

GMAT: 720 - Q48 (80th percentile) and V41(92nd percentile), AWA - 6

Work Ex:
Working as a Consultant (Energy) in one of the Big 4 consulting firms since June 2012
- Roles include client acquisition support, on-ground client management, engagement execution, strategic solution design & thought leadership initiatives
- Took up some out-of-work initiatives such as developing a rotation program for new recruits, etc.
- I volunteer some of my time (about 4-5 days a month) in the community engagement activities of NGOs that have partnered with my firm

Projects (non-work):
- conducted an energy audit of a petroleum refinery for 6 months, the observations and suggestions of which resulted in significant savings for the refinery. (Undergrad project)
- developed a new diesel fuel (diesel microemulsion fuel) as a part of my Masters project.

Extra Curriculars:
Positions of Responsibility:
- Was the President of the Student Council during Under Grad. - work involved conducting fests, student welfare activites, community service activities, acting as a liaison between students & administration, etc.
- Management Captain of a team that designed and built a baja (all terrain vehicle) to take part in the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International Baja Competition 2009 (ranked 62nd out of 120). Work involved procuring funds for the project, advertising, budgeting and a lot of co-ordinating with the colg authorities.
- Secretary of a National Technical Club (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers)
- M. Tech. Representative in the Students Affairs Council during Graduation ( Masters program)

Sports:
- a career in free style skating (1995 to 2004)- won national level prizes (gold - 11, silver - 8, bronze -6)
- badminton player - member of the colg team during Under Grad.
- Chess: ranked 16th in the state level open chess tournament

Could you pls give me an idea as to which schools could i consider "safe" or competitive or stretch with this profile and a 720 on the gmat??
I am very keen to pursue an mba in technology management or strategy. I aim to work in the field of energy/ energy consulting post-mba.

Thanks in advance!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 6

Re: Pls Help! - Inputs on schools to apply to [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Varun,

You have robust profile with good academics, EC's and GMAT score. You can consider UNC Kenan flagler, Duke, Emory, UCLA Anderson, Tepper as safe schools however if you are looking at career in energy consulting then you should target Haas, Tepper, UT Austin McCombs, SMU Cox, Texas A&M university as they have high % of class entering into energy sector and some of these are safe schools based on your profile as well.

From your profile I feel that you have less work experience so I would suggest you to wait for one more year and build your profile in the next one year and then apply as most of the above b-schools have average work experience between 3 - 6 years.

Let me know if you have any questions...happy to assist

Regards,
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Pls Help! - Inputs on schools to apply to   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2013, 23:48