Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pls help on AWA, exam coming

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Pls help on AWA, exam coming [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 02:30
Hi all,

I am in the final stage of preparing my real exam. Now would like to get some idea about my performance in AWA. Could you please give me a roungh score?

Argument

The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine on lifestyles.

"Two years ago, City L was listed 14th in an annual survey that ranks cities according to the quality of life that can be enjoyed by those living in them. This information will enable people who are moving to the state in which City L is located to confidently identify one place, at least, where schools are good, housing is affordable, people are friendly, the environment is safe, and the arts flourish."

The argument states that two years ago City L was listed 14th in an survey that ranks cities according to the quality of life that can be enjoyed by those living in them; hence the arugument concludes that if people move to the state in which City L is located. they can enjoy good schools, affordable housing, friendly people, safe environment, and flourish arts. Stated in that way, the argument fails to mention several factors, on the basis of which the situation can be fully evaluated. The conclusion bases on a few assumption, for which there is no clear evidence provided. As such, the arugment is rather weak, unconvincing, and flawed.

First of all, the arthor readily assumes that the living quality is equal among all the cities in the state where City L is located. It can be the case that only City L has relatively good living quality as compared to the other cities in the state. So, even though it may be true that City L is a good city to live in, the state is overall unfavorable to residents.

Second, the arugument fails to mention the details of the survey. Without giving information on the total cities surveyed, it is impossible to comment on the living quality in City L. It is possible that the survey only includes 14 cities. Consequently, ranking 14th out of 14 cities is clearly not a good result for City L. In order to strengthen the arugment, the arthor should include mention more details about the survey, such as the sample size and methodologies, etc.

Thrid, the result bases on the survey done two years ago. The living condition of City L may have changed within the past two years. Therefore, the result may not be representative to the current situation in City L. Because the survey is done annually, it is difficult to understand why the arthor does not use the latest result. In order to strengthen the statement, the arthor should explain why he uses an outdated result. Otherwise, the conclusion has no legs to stand on.

To conclude, the argument is unconvincing and flawed because of the reasons mentioned above. Ultimately, the arthor can strengthen his statement by mentioning all the relevant factors. In order to assess the merits of the situation, it is important to have full knowledges on all relevant facts.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help on AWA, exam coming [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 02:31
Issue

"The presence of a competitor is always beneficial to a company. Competition forces a company to change itself in ways that improve its practices."

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Some people think that the presence of competitor is harmful to a company. While, others support the claim that competition is always beneficial to a company because competition forces a company to improve its practices. This is a controversial statement and has valid arugments supporting both sides. However, after a close examination on the situation, we can see that the presence of competitors may not benefit a company.

First of all, the presence of competitors increase competition in the whole industry. The competition will force the companies to lower their price and therefore profit. The competition will eventually impact the financial well being of the company. A company will not be a healthy one, if it does not have sufficient profit to operate.

Some people think that the competition will force a company to improve its practices. Hence, the presence of competitor is benefical to a company. However, based on my experience, competition sometimes makes the company focuse too much on what its competitors are offering. As a result, the market players will keep lowering their price and fail to improve their services and products. Eventually, only the company offering the lowest price will survive. Obviously, this is not the situation which we would like to occur.

Perhaps the most important reason is that price cut means decreasing product quality. As stated above, in highly competitive industries, the market players are likely to cut their price or offer promotion to try to acquire more market shares. Apparently, this can force the company to operate more efficently. However, when the compeition becomes more and more sereve, the companies will be forced to give up their product quality to achieve a lower price in the market. As a result, the product quality of the overall market may be impacted.

To conclude, because of the reasons mentioned above, we can see that the presence of a competitor may not be beneficial to a company.

Thanks alot!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pls help on AWA, exam coming [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 05:04
I think you'll be fine. I used pretty much the same structure as you did and got a 6 on the AWA. As long as you write a decent amount and use all the buzzwords (hence, therefore, etc) you'll be fine. I really think that's about all it looks for.

On the analyze an argument essay, I pretty much blanked and wrote what I thought was a pretty flimsy essay, but I used the structure I had practiced and still got a 6. Don't worry, you're good to go.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help on AWA, exam coming [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 07:21
Go read this and you'll do very well:

1-p470475#p470475

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help on AWA, exam coming [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 07:35
Thanks, oustone85. As long as I can get above 4.5, i will not bother to practise anymore.

Thanks, Jallen, I already done so. Chinese's guide is the AWA bible :P

Any more idea? Can someone give me a rough score?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help on AWA, exam coming [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 09:33
Actually 4.5 is not that bad either! As suggested by others just use a lot of swtich words such as hence, therefore, however, alternatively, moreover etc. Also use words like persuasive, plausible, laden with bad assumptions, logical fallacies, etc.

Do not hesitate to address the ISSUE from both sides but do take a clear position in your conclusion section.
Practice in actual GMATPrep screen to be more comfortable at the test
Do NOT put more effort in this section than it deserves. Be confident and you will be fine.
Once you done with this section do not think about back and during the break remind yourself that in the coming quantitative section after first few questions you will not spend too much time on any one question. Practice exhaustively this technique.

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help on AWA, exam coming [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 10:47
...yes and watch for typos and grammatical errors ("arthor," "compeition", "an survey...").

I understand English may not be your native language, but you shouldn't lose out a point or half on things like that. Is this AWA topic from the OG? All possible AWA topics are in the OG, but I'm not suggesting you go through each of them. Just scan a few of them to mentally make up a list of talking points.

With a little bit of effort, you will surely manage a 4.5. You do need to put in a bit more effort however. I would say what you posted above was around a 4.0.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help on AWA, exam coming [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 10:53
I would personalize it a little more, use good verbal skills. I got a 5.5 on my AWA and you want everything to flow together. The main thing they base it on is good grammar and specificity and effectiveness of your points made, but I would try to make them a little smoother, which can boost your score some. Overall you would prob get a 5.0 or so I think. you dont really have to be an author to score well, but I would say speak more directly to your audience, but be mindful of using too many Is.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help on AWA, exam coming [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 10:56
Also use the lead in model for your introductory paragraphs. Say a little background information or use referse thinking ( where you lead off saying good things about something, and then in your thesis statement support your real conclusion, which contradicts your lead in statement). Organization is pretty key to doing well on the AWA and having a good thesis statement and topic sentences is very important, which I didnt see in your examples
Re: Pls help on AWA, exam coming   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2008, 10:56