Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pls help with some info on profile and recommendations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pls help with some info on profile and recommendations [#permalink] New post 21 May 2006, 08:07
Hi Scott/ Omari,

Thanks for all the help and information you have added in this group .
I have read some of it to ensure I am not asking the same questions again:) hopefully.

1) I am an Indian.I have done B.E in Comp Science (from an ok Univ) and have 5 1/2 years experience with one of the best IT Software companies in India. I have progressed from a developer to a manager to a consultant over these years and have experience consulting companies like GE, Nationwide,Sunlife and now Duetsche Bank.
However, I am not very confident of how much of a help this profile is to me if i want to apply in the top ten Universities. I know I have done good but I do not think that it is sufficient and that is discouraging me from giving my GMAT (though I am targeting 680-700).Should I be targeting top 20 -30 Universities?

2) I have some really good recommendations from my previous clients but they do not showcase all my capabilities. I have facilitated a lot of recuritment drives, events, community help activities but do not have certificates to prove it, though my HR could validate it. I could take recommendations from my current manager , who knows me well, but I do not know what format and how to ensure that it covers all aspects of what an MBA school would want to know.

3) I have passion for a plethora of things and am good or at least tried my hand at poetry,painting,pottery,dancing,jewellry designing,stained glass painting,sculpture,design classes,reiki, etc . Do these count ? I know I have the wow factor in me. I am not sure if I have done enough yet to exploit /prove it or if I have how to present it ?

I have a good appetite for reading. If I sound ignorant, please feel free to let me know some books I could increase my knowledge of GMAT requirements from.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Warm Regards,
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 21 May 2006, 08:39
Expert's post
It sounds like you're thinking about the right things. Here are a few thoughts:

- Yes, your profile is very common. So, obvioulsy, the challenge for you will be to stand out. Things like "I came from a top university" or "I work at a top IT firm" won't distinguish you at all, since there are so many other Indian/IT applicants who can say the same thing. Your GMAT won't distinguish you, either (even if you score 700+).

- So, you'll need to distinguish yourself with one or more of the following things: 1) What you've done on the job -- how you've made an impact, leadership roles you've taken, etc.; 2) What impact you've had on your community; 3) Other interests or hobbies of yours that will hepl you stand out; 4) Your career goals; 5) Any adversity you have overcome; 6) Any other unique experiences you've had (e.g., international experience).

- It's nice that you have a wide varity of interests, but the risk here is that you'll come across as too unfocused and that none of these things will come through strong enough to make a real impression on adcomms. I recommend focusing on one or two things here that will really help to show your passion for something.

- Yes, I recommend applying to at least a couple of schools that are more in the top-20 or top-30 range, just to spread your bets.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Pls help with some info on profile and recommendations [#permalink] New post 21 May 2006, 10:35
Thanks so much for the response.

One last help-
Background - I want to do my MBA in Entrepreneurship since I want to switch lanes from IT to Design .{ I want to be able to open a creative signature design studio }It will operate out of India with branches globally.

The challenges I have is that I will need to finance a US MBA from Indian savings , plus to set up something in India, I will need to be working out of India soon after an MBA which makes returning loans difficult. If I have to take up that challenge I would like it to be for a top university. It also helps me later in case the studio does not work out by relying on a good educational background.

The other way is to apply to ISB,Hyderabad (http://www.isb.edu/). {ISB has affiliations with Wharton and Kellogs School of Business}. That way I save on the accomodation and am close to family etc. But am not sure how much of a standing that degree has in the US market (as a fallback)

I may be asking for too much but do you think you could share your views on how best to proceed?

Warm Regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 21 May 2006, 11:08
Expert's post
I'm not sure that I totally understand your question. But if you want to land a job in the U.S., I recommend getting a degree from a U.S. school. If you want to stay in India, a degree from something like ISB should be fine.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2006, 08:22
Sorry about the ambiguity.

I need to start my business in India (and have a good feel of the Indian market in that domain) and feel I should be globally educated to expand it into different markets in the long run.

Warm Regards,
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2006, 10:36
Expert's post
You should be fine with an Indian MBA if you want to operate in India. If you were looking at starting your business in the U.S., then a U.S. degree would be key.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews