Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 23:52
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile and let me know which category of schools i can target. Am providing info as in a QnA format.

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

-By fall 2012, I will be having 6.5 years work ex in a top IT services firm in India
-Have worked for Fortune 500 clients based in US.
-Have extensive experience in planning, delivering and managing complex software projects that involve multiple technologies, stake holders and delivery teams.
-Have lead team(s) of 6 to 10 members.
-Have received good appreciations and Star-of-the-month kind rewards.
-had successfully spearheaded Media Campaign and communications for two high profile week long Techfests.

2) Your GMAT.
760 Q50V44

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

College: Anna University, Chennai (One of the Top 10 institutes in India)
GPA: 7 (on a 10 point scale)
Major: Production Engineering

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

Public Relations officer of a club @ college
Headed a student political party election campaign @ college
Founded a new motivation system to foster healthy competition and improve associate's yearly appraisal goals achievement @ work
Spearheaded Media campaigns for hi profile Techfest @ work

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
Nil. I have a IBM Certified Database Associate certificate.

6) Your target programs.
I am targeting "elite" schools strong in marketing curriculum and can get me jobs in B2C Tech industry. (Haas and the like - research on B schools ongoing).

7) Your post-MBA goal.

Marketing jobs (Brand management/ Product management) in B2C Tech industry -software products, Digital marketing, Social media.

Live Life Every Day, Every Moment
- JK

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 16:30
Expert's post
What is up my friend. Thanks for all the info.

And there is good news and bad news. The good news is that you are ABSOLUTELY in the running for a top program. The bad news is...your career goals dont quite make sense to me dude. Marketing? I dont get it--what is the link to marketing given your background? So long as you focus on IT related stuff you should be just fine--but I would pursue ENTREPRENEURSHIP dude. That is where your background is headed. You smartly propose Haas--and I like that approach. Id look at other programs with a tech focus, including Stanford, UT Austin, and others.

Focus on your STRENGTHS dude, thats the key. And for you, it is TECH.

Make some sense brother?

Jon Frank

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 22:37
Hey Jon, Thanks much for your valuable feedback.

precisionessay wrote:
what is the link to marketing given your background?
The link to marketing lies in my ECs. Though the single line descriptions of ECs in my 1st post might NOT make much sense, i am sure they will reflect my intense passion if explained correctly in detail.
precisionessay wrote:
So long as you focus on IT related stuff you should be just fine--but I would pursue ENTREPRENEURSHIP dude. That is where your background is headed.
This is a very interesting observation. What elements of my profile ring bells of entrepreneurship ? I am broadly exploring career options and your insight might give me something new to think about.
precisionessay wrote:
You smartly propose Haas--and I like that approach. Id look at other programs with a tech focus, including Stanford, UT Austin, and others.
Thanks Jon. My background is tech and my passion is B2C marketing. Hence, i have set my eyes on marketing areas that could use technical expertise such as Digital Marketing / Social Media marketing / marketing strategy jobs post MBA. Though my research into these careers isn't complete yet, i am very positive that they will let me express my passion, while leveraging my IT expertise.

Please let me know materials/portals/insights into this career track. They would be of immense help to me.

- JK

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 535 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If you can bring out the marketing piece in your ECs dude, then you should be fine. Just keep in mind that is a HARDER sell. After all, you will only wanna talk about "non-work" activities in one of your essays. After all, it is a "business" school app, etc.

And I like entrepreneurship simply because of the link to tech. And if you're applying to Haas, for example, they would be delighted to hear that your goals mesh so well with Haas (one of the best entre. programs on EARTH.) But again, if you can establish the marketing link, then youll be fine here without the entre. piece.

You're approaching this thing correctly my friend--it will all be in the storytelling for you. If you can connect the dots, we have high hopes...

GOOD LUCK BRO!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 08:36
Thanks Jon / Raj.
+1 for your valuable feedback !

- JK

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests
Re: Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 730-6.5Yrs WE- not good EC [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 07:55
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile and let me know which category of schools i can target. Am providing info as in a QnA format.

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

-By fall 2013, I will be having 6.5 years work ex in a top communication services provider in india(3.5 in top MNC in india + 3 years in Top communication services provider in india in product development)

-Have worked for Fortune 500 clients based in US.
-Have extensive experience in planning, delivering and managing complex software projects that involve multiple technologies, stake holders and delivery teams.
-Have lead team(s) of 3 to 5
-Have been instrumental in developing very complex services and imparting knowledge to peers

2) Your GMAT.

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

College: SGSITS Indore(A permier institute in central india)
GPA: 7.23 (on a 10 point scale)
Major: Electrical engineering

4) Your target programs.
I am targeting "elite" schools with good technical focus.

5) Your post-MBA goal.

I am particularly targetting analytics or techno managerial roles in IT firms.

Is my experience on a higher side for pursuing 2 year full time programme?Which schools do you suggest considering my profile.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 535 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sure thing dude, happy to help!

So let's get right to it. First of all to answer your Q. no 6.5 years is not too much. That would make you what? about 28? 29? A totally normal age for applying to B-school, and no need to think about it twice.
Then, your PROS:
1. Awesome GMAT
2. REAL leadership (very few candidates have this, so play on it heavily!)
3. ???? (I'm sure there's something else here :) )

CONS
1. Indian/Tech
2. Not IIT

Overall though, if you have can make very strong and very passionate essays, you will have a shot at some very good schools. If Tech is your focus I could suggest a few schools (although to be honest, any Top 20 program even Top 30 can help you reach your goals):
Haas,
Anderson,
Tepper,
Sloan,
Austin
Ross

to start with...

How does that sound to you, dude?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 08:55
Thanks a ton!!

One more thing..I was initially recruited in a major bank as Assistant manager directly from campus but as i was not keen to do that job(not as per my standards) ..i quit it in 4 months and changed to IT(product development).But i sat idle in between for 5 months..Does that impact my application.I want to show it in a positive sense.I was determined to switch my profile and did it quiet early..what do you say?
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 08:59
One more thing...I did not understand your respone for question 3:)..can you please elaborate.
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz Evaluate: Indian-IT-Male-GMAT 760-6 Yrs WE- Gud EC [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 07:36
Expert's post
Nah, it doesn't really matter that much. It's too much of a hypothetical situation.. Better to just write about what you ACTUALLY did.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com