Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plz evaluate my profile for MS in Fin Fall 2012

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Plz evaluate my profile for MS in Fin Fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 11:28
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
My background is
Indian Female
GMAT 660(Q 49)
TOEFL 115
Work Exp: 2.5 yrs in automobile manufacturing (Supply Chain Mgmt dept)

I am applying for an MS in Fin (Quant oriented) for Fall 2012. I have applied to the following schools:

SUNY Buffalo,MSF FE track
Boston Univ, MSMF
Georgia Tech, QCF
Rutgers, MQF
IIT, Chicago, MSF
UIUC, MSFE
Washington Univ, St L, MSF

I just got a rejection from SUNY Buffalo which was supposed to be my safe school.
It has got me worried that I'll face similar results with others.

Can someone please evaluate my profile and let me know if I need to apply to some other safe schools??
I was considering UTD.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz evaluate my profile for MS in Fin Fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 03:39
Expert's post
anisha3987 wrote:
Hi,
My background is
Indian Female
GMAT 660(Q 49)
TOEFL 115
Work Exp: 2.5 yrs in automobile manufacturing (Supply Chain Mgmt dept)

I am applying for an MS in Fin (Quant oriented) for Fall 2012. I have applied to the following schools:

SUNY Buffalo,MSF FE track
Boston Univ, MSMF
Georgia Tech, QCF
Rutgers, MQF
IIT, Chicago, MSF
UIUC, MSFE
Washington Univ, St L, MSF

I just got a rejection from SUNY Buffalo which was supposed to be my safe school.
It has got me worried that I'll face similar results with others.

Can someone please evaluate my profile and let me know if I need to apply to some other safe schools??
I was considering UTD.

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing results with Buffalo. The good news there is that they are actually doubling the size of the program next year, so if this year doesn't work out, you may have improved odds next year.
I don't know your GPA but your GMAT score is definitely an issue: Buffalo states that the MSFE program has been in great demand, so they are going to look for the highest GMAT scores to push up their profile and the prospects of their graduates. In terms of other programs, I am concerned: the average score at Boston University is 722, your 660 isn't even in their 80% range of 710-750; IUIC seeks applicants with Quant GMAT scores in the 90th percentile (your 49 is good at the 85th percentile, but not high enough). You might have better chances at IIT Stuart, where the average GMAT is 622, but since you are being compared to the other Indian female applicants, your score and profile needs to be the best among that pool of applicants. All of this discussion assumes that your GPA is strong and your goals and character impeccable.
These stats do push me to recommend that you increase your GMAT Quant score a bit.
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Plz evaluate my profile for MS in Fin Fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 17:57
Thanks Jennifer....
I was anyway not so hopeful about BU....
the UIUC prog i am applying to is MSFE and not MSF... its a comparatively new prog....

And regarding retaking the GMAT...I feel it is a little too late....
Can you advise me some masters program which are still within my reach??

And oh....my GPA... i got 68% in my engg... the topper was around 79%...

Thanks again......
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz evaluate my profile for MS in Fin Fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 12:45
Expert's post
anisha3987 wrote:
Thanks Jennifer....
I was anyway not so hopeful about BU....
the UIUC prog i am applying to is MSFE and not MSF... its a comparatively new prog....

And regarding retaking the GMAT...I feel it is a little too late....
Can you advise me some masters program which are still within my reach??

And oh....my GPA... i got 68% in my engg... the topper was around 79%...

Thanks again......

Your GPA is only average as well, so you really do need a strong GMAT score to prove your academic ability. Tulane might make sense to add since your GMAT slightly exceeds its average. Yes, it is too late for this year to boost the GMAT, but if these applications are unsuccessful, I do recommend retaking and trying again next year.
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Plz evaluate my profile for MS in Fin Fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 18:31
jenniferbloom wrote:
anisha3987 wrote:
Thanks Jennifer....
I was anyway not so hopeful about BU....
the UIUC prog i am applying to is MSFE and not MSF... its a comparatively new prog....

And regarding retaking the GMAT...I feel it is a little too late....
Can you advise me some masters program which are still within my reach??

And oh....my GPA... i got 68% in my engg... the topper was around 79%...

Thanks again......

Your GPA is only average as well, so you really do need a strong GMAT score to prove your academic ability. Tulane might make sense to add since your GMAT slightly exceeds its average. Yes, it is too late for this year to boost the GMAT, but if these applications are unsuccessful, I do recommend retaking and trying again next year.


Thanks Jennifer...... lets hope that it does not come to retaking the GMAT or waiting another year......
Fingers crossed.... hopefully i'll get an admit from one of the other schools..... :)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz evaluate my profile for MS in Fin Fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 03:12
Expert's post
anisha3987 wrote:
Thanks Jennifer...... lets hope that it does not come to retaking the GMAT or waiting another year......
Fingers crossed.... hopefully i'll get an admit from one of the other schools..... :)

It can't hurt to pick up some GMAT practice problems in the meantime; this will certainly keep your mind sharp to either retake the test in the coming months or enter a challenging academic program in the fall.
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic plz evaluate my profile kingb 1 25 Apr 2013, 15:03
MS Fin. Profile Evaluation (am I dreaming?) Mat09 0 11 Jan 2012, 21:51
MS Fin. Profile Evaluation thanks. FungWeiLiang 3 25 Dec 2011, 07:07
MS in Fin - Is this profile sufficient studboy 2 27 Sep 2006, 22:50
Experts publish their posts in the topic plz evaluate my profile !!! lefty 1 14 Nov 2005, 05:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Plz evaluate my profile for MS in Fin Fall 2012

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.