Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

plz help me out!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

plz help me out!! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 04:31
Hi,

My profile:

I am a over represented Indian IT male, i have a work ex of 1.3 years
1 year with a NGO and after that i have joined a Top IT MNC company as a software engineer, but as Indian IT pool is so big, i am trying to move to banking sector after 1 yr.

My extracurricular activities

-->I was very much involved in my college activates was head of 2-3 groups
--> won several chess competitions at college and State level
--> Presented paper at national conferences and won several inter universities paper competitions during college time.
--> have done my 6 month internship in Business development department of a IT company.

My Grades:

I have scored 70% in my B.Tech (80% was the highest) From a 60 year old college and considered as a good college . i have scored 65% ,65% in my 12th and 10th respectively.

My GMAT journey:

i have given GMAT 3 times
--->Scored 570 on my 1st attempt last year
---->Scored 670 on my 2nd attempt March,2009
---->my 3rd attempt was on 2nd august 2009 and scored
700 (50Q,34V) 93%,68% over all 90%,AWA just 4

My questions:

I am looking to for Feb or sep 2011 class of MBA , please tell me

1) Keeping in mind that i cannot give GMAT again please tell me how should i work on my profile? Should join NGO's ? as GMAT is only one of the criteria ,so i think if i present a good profile i can be in good MBA college.

2) My verbal and AWA score is Not good please tell me how to compensate it , ya i will try to get good LOR but apart that should I enrole some diploma course in English or some course, please suggest ....I have 2 yrs in hand and want to cover-up my each and every week sector.

3) My Degree grade is in % not in GPA, tell me what does 70% means in the eyes of adcom's or what is the conversion of 70%??

4) is swapping from IT company to Banking sector is good idea? i am trying to get a assistant manger job in Bank,,, is it fine ??

5) What do you think are the realistic colleges for me either in US or Uk keeping in mind of 2011 class.

Any suggestions are welcomed.....!! 'n' at last thanks a lot for reading my boring post..... :lol:
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: plz help me out!! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 21:24
(1) What you should do is to focus on building a life, not a resume. Man up, and make a decision based on what you want inside and what interests you, and not what you think will get you some external validation from someone else (in this case, b-school). Because chances are folks will see through your intentions. If you want to work in non-profit, then work in non-profit. If you don't, then don't work in it just because you think it will somehow make you less of an Indian IT dude or whatever.

(2) Be a stronger writer and develop stronger critical thinking skills. It's certainly possible, but there's no short-term fix. It takes time.

(3) You're not the only Indian person applying who has percentage grades. Don't worry about it.

(4) I don't know. Was it a good move or a bad move for YOU? Was it in YOUR best interests?

(5) I can provide feedback, but I can't give you opinions or aspirations. There's a ton of info on this board as well as others. If you've read other posts, I think you can start to figure out which schools are in your range. Then, do some research on those schools, and pick the ones that you would love to attend.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: plz help me out!! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 22:33
hi Alex,

Yes, you are right what matters is my interest and I’ll go for what I want,,,,,,,,,
But right now my main concern is my low score in English, can you suggest how to show the adcoms that I have strong command over English(like by taking some courses, scoring high on Toefl, giving strong LOR etc).

 I have read 100 of profiles but still did not figure out what is unique profile, can you give me some brief overview on this.

At last thanks a lot for your advice…..!!!
:)
Re: plz help me out!!   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2009, 22:33