Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plz help: R2 vs R3

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Plz help: R2 vs R3 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 10:45
Guys,
Will the chance of getting accpeted diminish my a large probability if i defer some applications to R3. I may not be able to apply to some schools in R2. Is it advisable to apply in R3 at all?

--------
gmat: 630 Q49 V29 AWA4
exp: 52+ months; Typical IT development exp;
role: technical consultant (involves managing,mentoring small teams)
extra : Volunteer of a social service group; Organizing commitee member of UG college's tech fest
Won accolade from the client (program's most valuable player award)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Plz help: R2 vs R3 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 12:30
from what I've heard/read, round 3 should be avoided at all costs because almost all admissions slots are already filled up. Try to get everything in round 2 if you can.
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz help: R2 vs R3 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 12:36
vinayn wrote:
Guys,
Will the chance of getting accpeted diminish my a large probability if i defer some applications to R3. I may not be able to apply to some schools in R2. Is it advisable to apply in R3 at all?

--------
gmat: 630 Q49 V29 AWA4
exp: 52+ months; Typical IT development exp;
role: technical consultant (involves managing,mentoring small teams)
extra : Volunteer of a social service group; Organizing commitee member of UG college's tech fest
Won accolade from the client (program's most valuable player award)

R3 is a strict no-no esp for international students. I had plans to apply to R2, but then GMAT didnt clicked. I thought of moving my application to R3. In the meanwhile, I consulted a few of them (including this forum members) and decided to apply in for 2010. So, I'll be applying in R1 2009 (hopefully :) )
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz help: R2 vs R3 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 14:11
I agree that in general R3 is much worse than R2, especially if a year is as competitive as this one. However, your chances of success also depend on the schools where you are applying and on whether you have something unique in your profile.
If you have this uniqueness, it's good, as you could get in even in R3 (some schools fill their R3 places trying to maximize the diversity and thus admit applicants with weaker stats but with non-trivial profiles). However, if you feel there's nothing 'wow-ish', compared to the typical class member of the school you want to get into, I would advise to postpone your app to the next season and strengthen your profile, because neither rushed app for R2, nor well-prepared, but with average stats for R3 will probably get you in.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Plz help: R2 vs R3 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2008, 02:47
I think it would depend on the school and how badly you want a MBA right now. If you applying for a safety school, I say go for it. Most likely your credentials would be above par. Plus, there's little harm done if you apply again next year when you will have the same or better credentials. If you are trying to apply for a reach school, I would say just wait until next year, unless you absolutely want to be in the class of 2011.
Re: Plz help: R2 vs R3   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2008, 02:47