Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 02:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plz rate & fedbck AOI essay written during my practice today

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Plz rate & fedbck AOI essay written during my practice today [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 04:00

In some countries, television and radio programs are carefully censored for offensive language and behavior. In other countries, there is little or no censorship.In your view, to what extent should government or any other group be able to censor television or radio programs? Explain, giving relevant reasons and/or examples to support your position.

The issue that whether television and radio programs are carefully censored for offensive language and behavior or they must have complete freedom to broadcast the shows as required by them or by public is always contentious in our society. My view is that the regulated freedom is the sensible freedom for all. The television or radio channels must have freedom to broadcast according to the demands of public but there are agencies to define the sensible premises of their operations for the well being of all in the society.

Today, our world is majorly divided into two parts as developed countries, which have more liberal society or developing countries, which still have conservative societies in most of their parts. Both these parts of the world have their own ideologies on which their cultures depend. So, one program or view point that may be normal in developed world but may not be accepted or provoking in the developing world. For instance, the Fashion T.V., broadcasting channel of US , was banned in Afganisthan or some Islamic countries for showing clothes that are considered as vulgar or against the religion of Islam. But this clothing is not offensive according to the modern society. So, to avoid disharmony among nations, there is need of regulated agencies such as censorship that can regulate the stuff as per regional demands.

However, the extremist use of censorship is the violation of one’s right of freedom. Recently, during US Iraq war, the extremist government of Iraq banned most of the international channels in the country. This violates the right of individual freedom or freedom of media to express unbiased content or public’s view point. So, the extremist use of censorship is violation of human rights.

Finally, our children or next generation is vastly exposed to wide information in the world through television, radio or internet. Their parents can not control everything that the children are viewing on television or listening on radio. So, the role of censorship is crucial to prevent children from access to adult programs that may affect them negatively. So, the role of censorship in categorizing adult programs from those that are suitable programs for children is very important for society.

To conclude, I suggest that the regulated freedom is the sensible freedom. The role of censorship in regulating some programs is need of the society to maintain harmony. The censorship in this situation plays a role to bridge in joining different socities with different religious or cultural beliefs. There is also the need to let people express their view freely for the development of society without any redundant censorship.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plz rate & fedbck AOI essay written during my practice today [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 01:53
Your first sentence is too long.

Make sure you take a clear position, and do not counter yourself. Simply acknowledge in the introduction and the conclusion that it's not black or white.

To introduce your body paragraphs, use "One reason is... Another reason..." (or anything like that) rather than "Today... However...", it will be more readable and more logical.

You pointed out excellent ideas and provided solid examples. With a few adjustments to your template, you'll easily score a 6.0 on test day.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Plz rate & fedbck AOI essay written during my practice today [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 04:21
Thanxs Padwan .... I have taken ur feedbacks sincerely...
Re: Plz rate & fedbck AOI essay written during my practice today   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2010, 04:21