Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PMBA in Texas: Please Help Me Decide

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

PMBA in Texas: Please Help Me Decide [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 19:57
Hi Everyone,

I live in Dallas and have been struggling with my decision regarding which PMBA would be better. I have narrowed it down to SMU or UT Austin DFW program that is offered in Dallas. Based on the PMBA rankings, SMU is ranked higher in Texas. They also claim that they are the #1 PMBA program in Texas. Tuition is very comparable ($80K) and the curriculum is slightly different. SMU offers all electives in your 2nd year whereas UT Austin does not offer electives. I also heard that SMU is recognized in Texas, especially in Dallas, but not well known beyond Texas. I have no plans to move outside of Dallas, Texas for the 5-10 years

My question is, if you had a choice based on my current situation, which PMBA program would you choose and why.

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WEMBA East)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: PMBA in Texas: Please Help Me Decide [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 13:20
It's good to have options--apply to both, visit both and sit in on classes. Go with the one where you identify with the students and instructors more if you think the rankings are a dead heat.

I don't know the specifics of the two programs strictly for part-time, but McCombs has a much higher rating than Cox for full-time (top ~20 vs top ~40). The rankings are fairly esoteric imo; what is lasting is the school's overall brand strength. I think UT is the winner over SMU in that regard.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU, Booth, McCombs

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: PMBA in Texas: Please Help Me Decide [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 11:25
If you have no plans to move out of Dallas, then Dallas might be your top choice.

I spoke with a guy from career services at McCombs when their alumni were up here hosting a reunion in NYC. He made a huge distinction in recruitment and specialization for each campus. I would suggest you reach out to their career services in Dallas to get an idea of who recruits from the school, where the part time MBAs end up if they do not wish to stay with their current employer, etc.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: PMBA in Texas: Please Help Me Decide [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 18:28
Hi Tinman,

I pretty much have the exact same dilemma ie, whether to join SMU Cox vs UT Austin. I know few folks who are doing SMU Cox MBA (part time). Both had the opinion that UT Austin does not have lot of electives compared to SMU Cox which makes them feel that SMU is better than UT. There is also the question of doing a full-time mba as opposed to Part-time. Did you have a chance to get information on the companies that come to SMU for recruitment in comparison with what UT Austin has to offer ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: PMBA in Texas: Please Help Me Decide [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 21:09
Hi All,
Just starting my GMAT prep so the decision is a bit farther down the road, but I was thinking about UTD MBA (mainly due to the cost of SMU/McCombs).

I saw it's in the top 50 nationwide and top 4 in Texas.

Anyone have an opinion about the PMBA there?
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: PMBA in Texas: Please Help Me Decide [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 08:02
Expert's post
To clarify, the OP is comparing Texas MBA in DFW with SMU, not UT-Dallas MBA to SMU.

McCombs is undoubtly the preeminent MBA program in Texas. But in this case, you should inquire about the career services of both programs. Since McCombs is based 3.5 hours aways, do you still have access to the same career services? How do recruiting events work? Do you get the same degree as regular McCombs Evening MBAs?

My feeling is that the part-time programs are geared toward people who wants to move up the corporate ladder within their current employer, so career service is minimal. This is fine if you want to stay with the same company and move to middle management, but if you want to switch careers after you graduate, see which program will help you do that.

As far as 5 year down the line. I think where you get your degree matters only a little, what you did in that 5 years matters much more.

Diversity

Re: PMBA in Texas: Please Help Me Decide   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2010, 08:02