Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 24

Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 22:59
jjack0310 wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from A to B along straight road AB with speed 30 kmph. At the same time a cyclist starts from B along a road perpendicular to road AB, with a speed of 10 kmph. After how many hours will the distance between them be the least?

See attached graph

This problem is basically looking for the shortest hypotenuse in a triangle comprised of biker on road AB and cyclist moving directly perpendicular to AB from point B. Using the graph, we can plug in numbers into the quadratic formula to see what length C is the shortest.

a^2+b^2=c^2

1 Hour: Biker has traveled 30 km and cyclist has traveled 10 km.
90^2 + 10^2 = c^2
8200 = c^2
We don't need to find the square - we can compare values of c^2

2 Hour: Biker has traveled 60 km and cyclist has traveled 20 km.
60^2+20^ = c^2
4000 = c^2

3 hour: Biker has traveled 90 km and cyclist has traveled 30 km.
30^2 + 30^2 = c^2
1800 = c^2

For each increasing hour, the cyclist and biker move closer together. Out of all the possible answer choices, 3.6 reduces the bikers time the most (and thus the square of a larger speed i.e. 30 km/h) It's also possible to just look at the graph and recognize that the more hours that pass, the shorter the red line between
the biker and cyclist is.

ANSWER: D. 3.6 hours

One other thing...technically none of the answer choices are correct. Distance would be minimized when the biker hit B and was 40km away from the cyclist traveling perpendicular from line AB: a^2+b^2=c^2 ===> 0^2+40^2=c^2 ===> 1600 = c^2 so wouldn't E actually be the right answer? :shock:

This. I thought the answer would be E, just because the distance will be the least when the motorcyclist reaches point B, because then the distance will be only 40 km.

Hey the distance between the 2 bikers will be approximately 38 Kms after 3.6 hrs which is less than 40 Kms after 4 hours.

After 3.6 hrs
Biker A will have moved 3.6 * 30 = 108 Kms i.e. 12 Kms remaining
and Biker B will have moved by 3.6 * 10 = 36 Kms

= \sqrt{(12^2 + 36^2)}
= \sqrt{(1400)} < \sqrt{(1600)}

Consider Kudos if the post helped :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 20:17
the official answer is D, but I am confused
in 3.6 hours the motorcyclist covers (3.6*30) 108 km & the cyclist covers (3.6*10) 36 km, now the hypotenuse is
sqrt(120-108)^2 + sqrt(36)^2 = 48 km

after 4 hours motorcyclist reaches point b and the cyclist covers 40 km, as the road is perpendicular, the distance between two will be 40 km which is less than 48 km at 3.6 hours. so the answer should be E.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3418

Kudos [?]: 25024 [0], given: 2699

Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 22:17
Expert's post
khosru wrote:
the official answer is D, but I am confused
in 3.6 hours the motorcyclist covers (3.6*30) 108 km & the cyclist covers (3.6*10) 36 km, now the hypotenuse is
sqrt(120-108)^2 + sqrt(36)^2 = 48 km

after 4 hours motorcyclist reaches point b and the cyclist covers 40 km, as the road is perpendicular, the distance between two will be 40 km which is less than 48 km at 3.6 hours. so the answer should be E.

Check your math:
D. \sqrt{(120-30*3.6)^2 + (10*3.6)^2} = \sqrt{1,440}.
E. \sqrt{(120-30*4.6)^2 + (10*4.6)^2} = \sqrt{2,440}.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 17

Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
it is clear that the closer to 4 hours the less the distance. So, it is D
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3.25
WE: Brand Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 506

Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 21:21
I don't think this problems needs calculations of any sort.
Simply visualize a variable right triangle with A toward B forming the base and perpendicularly away from B as the height. The resulting hypotenuse represents the shortest distance between the bikers at any point.
The variable, A towards B (Base) diminishes at a much faster rate than does perpendicularly away from B (The height) because of the significant difference in the speeds of the bikers. Now since the hypotenuse (or the distance between the bikers) is the sum of the squares of the sides, it's least when their combination is minimum ( which obviously happens just before 4 hours or closest to 4 hours).

Guess, visualizing this concept takes much lesser time than reading it (say under a minute!!)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 40

Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 16:19
correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the hypotenuse be at it's shortest when one of the legs is minimized, thus 3.6 would have to be the answer here? The cyclist going north is only going at 10mph, so the leg of the triangle from the cyclist traveling from A to B is getting shorter at a MUCH faster rate than the cyclist traveling north's leg is getting longer. By this logic the longer you wait, the shorter the A-B cyclists leg is going to get, without nearly as much increase in the northward leg. Based on this I said D
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3418

Kudos [?]: 25024 [0], given: 2699

Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 06:09
Expert's post
AccipiterQ wrote:
correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the hypotenuse be at it's shortest when one of the legs is minimized, thus 3.6 would have to be the answer here? The cyclist going north is only going at 10mph, so the leg of the triangle from the cyclist traveling from A to B is getting shorter at a MUCH faster rate than the cyclist traveling north's leg is getting longer. By this logic the longer you wait, the shorter the A-B cyclists leg is going to get, without nearly as much increase in the northward leg. Based on this I said D

No, that's not correct. Why not the answer then 4 hours (E. None)? In this case one of the legs is 0 and the distance is 40 km, which is more than ~38 km in case of 3.6 hours.

Correct solution is here: points-a-and-b-are-120-km-apart-a-motorcyclist-starts-from-92837.html#p717460

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 09:45
prasannajeet wrote:
Hi Bunuel

Please explain the below part.....

Now quadratic function f(x)=ax^2+bx+c reaches its minimum (or maximum when a is negative - not our case), when x=-\frac{b}{2a}=\frac{60*120}{2*1000}=3.6

Rgds
Prasannajeet

I dont think differential / integral calculus must be getting tested in GMAT. If yes , then a single differential is just a proof of point of inflection. The equation would need to be differentiated again to confirm that the point was inflection was maxima or minima
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1082

Kudos [?]: 4868 [0], given: 163

Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 21:11
Expert's post
himanshujovi wrote:
prasannajeet wrote:
Hi Bunuel

Please explain the below part.....

Now quadratic function f(x)=ax^2+bx+c reaches its minimum (or maximum when a is negative - not our case), when x=-\frac{b}{2a}=\frac{60*120}{2*1000}=3.6

Rgds
Prasannajeet

I dont think differential / integral calculus must be getting tested in GMAT. If yes , then a single differential is just a proof of point of inflection. The equation would need to be differentiated again to confirm that the point was inflection was maxima or minima

I would say this question is borderline. GMAT expects you to know how to find the roots of the quadratic using the formula (though it never expects you to actually use it). Also, knowing what the graph of a quadratic looks like is a useful skill on GMAT. We know that when the co-efficient of the x^2 term is positive, it is upward facing so it will have a minimum value. By symmetry, the minimum value will lie right in the center of the roots i.e. it will be the average of the two roots. The two roots are given by
\frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a} and \frac{-b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}. Their average is -b/2a.

So you don't actually need to use differential calculus. I wouldn't recommend my students to ignore this question if they were looking at 750.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Points A and B are 120 km apart. A motorcyclist starts from   [#permalink] 05 May 2014, 21:11